UK Sockets with Power Monitoring

@Plandregan, did you get anywhere with tuya-convert or did you fail at the first hurdle?

Just stumbled across this Moes product, thought it might be of interest here.
Disclaimer, I have no idea whether this is any good or satisfies CE/BS standards or works with ZHA or Z2M. I am usually reluctant to buy mains-power devices like this from outside of the UK/EU so probably wonā€™t be getting any myself.

I am jumping in here, I am looking for options for an up and coming kitchen project, and donā€™t want plug in power monitors, so I have just ordered one of these MOES ones in grey to try out. Will share my experience.

4 Likes

I notice from your screenshot that a lot of the values are way off. Hopefully you arenā€™t pulling 3600A!

Iā€™ve just installed a couple of these and getting similar type of readings. Watts, voltage, and frequency seem fine, but everything else is just plain wrong.

Is anyone else having these issues? Both the twin sockets I installed are the same, and this screenshot is a third. Iā€™m thinking its unlikely to be a faulty unit, so guessing its a software issue?

I use lots of these with no issues. If using z2m you can calibrate everything there

For info, you can get these on eBay now for Ā£12.

Iā€™m using ZHA, not sure I want to go through the rigaramole of moving to Z2M.

Also, annoying that you canā€™t add them to the Energy dashboard as they donā€™t seem to record the cumulative kWh. But got them graphing power usage at least.

Typically, I saw a post about them being on ebay just after I ordered some from another store. :stuck_out_tongue: Not that much more expensive but couldā€™ve saved a bit.

Just create a Rehman integration with the power sensor to add to the energy dashboard, or use powercalc.

Theyā€™ve gone up a bit, I got 10 for 109.99

Keep an eye out, that seller is selling off aone stuff. I bought 20 of the aone downlights at 2.79 each (they are now at 44.99 for 10, still cheap)

2 Likes

Thanks, I didnā€™t know about the integration option. Just added one to test out. :slight_smile:

Will take a look at what else is on offer.

Iā€™ve read through this topic, but can I just ask are you refering to the Aurora Aone sockets? Are these the only viable smart, power monitoring uk sockets at the moment?

Note: if anyone is considering the knightsbridge Tuya ones, theyā€™re greatā€¦ for 6 months then they stop working :pensive:

I have had the moes one with a kettle plugged into it for 4 months now. Only a single socket though but works well enough and looks nice. Was thinking of putting a load in my new kitchen.

@Llamaboy
Iā€™ve been using the Local Bytes power monitoring plug loaded with Tasmota for the last year - absolutely rock solid, has never failed with multiple automations. Tasmota / ESPHome Smart Plug | Power Monitoring | Local Bytes (mylocalbytes.com)

Thereā€™s also an option pre-flashed with ESPHome and theyā€™re far cheaper than most of the competion!

3 Likes

Another option for UK power monitoring smart plugs (rather than wall sockets) could be Athom:

Similar to Local Bytes, they also have both Tasmota and ESPHome pre-flashed options, and you can flash them yourself if you want to switch between the two / update the firmware.

I have used both Local Bytes and Athom plugs with Home Assistant and they have worked equally well for me.

@Holdestmade - thanks for the recommendation on the Aurora sockets. I bought a load and they seem to have run out now. Bargain for what they can do.

I have a couple of issues, though:

1. After a power cut, the sockets switch off (not great - Iā€™d like them to return to their previous state) but they keep reporting that they are on. If they reported off, I could automate turning them back on.
    Do you suffer from this too?

2. They keep asking for an OTA firmware update. This isnā€™t a big issue but is unnecessary traffic. Can this be turned off? - and is there a latest firmware I can slot in (mine is reporting ā€œ20ā€)?

Thanks!

Not sure on 1 as not had a power cut. I use z2m and there is no firmware entity. Maybe just disable the update entity. As Aurora have gone into administration, there probably wonā€™t be any more firmware updates.

Ah - okay - thanks.

I also use z2m and I can see the messages in the logs (debug level).

Heya

Newbie here. I guess this means currently out only option is those Lightwave sockets? Those are really expensive :frowning:

Check out the Localbytes models. I have them and like them.

The Aurora Aone sockets have 40% off with aurora40zigbee code here

https://www.smart-secure.co.uk/product/aone-zigbee-twin-switched-socket/

Itā€™s a shame. The coupon has expired now. I missed out :frowning:

Just purchased and installed one of these before finding this thread and learning theyā€™d gone bust.

Has anyone already bought he hub? It seems these sockets will lock and just wondering if anyone has figured out how to do that with home assistant?

Have seen the ZHA devs created a quirk to allow the brightness level to be exposed, I could probably develop the quirk myself but cant figure what the command should be sent to the socket so that it locks.

Not sure i can justify buying the hub of a company thats already gone bust! Why do they bother with their own hubs? Just expose everything through Alexa or something?