Uk switches - where to start?

I also ordered from GearBest, they came with batteries.

1 Like

ditto and a converter for uk sockets for the gateway

I read somewhere about a converter being broken on arrival so I figured I’d just buy one from Amazon UK.

GB here too - they came with a converter that is working perfectly.

My only slight issue was fitting them into a standard back box/ patress box. Some of the ones in my house had connecting screws in all four sides of the back box. The unused screw fixtures on the top and bottom of the back box stopped the aqara switch fitting. Bending these unsused screw fixture points back/ taking them out allowed the switch to fit flush to the wall. It was tight though!

Thanks. I’ve gone for the wireless battery powered ones, that I’ll probably stick over a blanking plate, so this shouldn’t matter. I hope.

A small additional info regarding the lack of neutral line, the Xiaomi Aqara doesn’t require neutral line :slight_smile:

Hm, so can it work if I only have live and switched live going to it?

Yes, it does.

My set up (UK), no neutral in any of the light switches. Switches are working great. For my use-cases relying on the wireless versions wasn’t practical. If there is an issue with your homeassistant, wifi or lan this would mean no way to control your bulbs. I am assuming you would make all your lights permanently live.

I use the wired switches in all the existing switch points then have put the wireless switches as slaves - eg next to the kids beds.

I have dozens of gu10’s. Much easier and better for my requirements to make the switches smart and leave the bulbs dumb.

However, still not found a solution for my existing 2 way switches and 4 gang switches… For now they remain dumb.

Thanks for the info. Are they low powered (LED) GU10s? Can you dim them with that solution?

Hi,

I cannot dim, no. This wan’t required as there is also mood lighting (led strips/ lamps) that can be used for when full light isn’t needed.

My gu10’s are a mixture of old compact flourescent, which are horrible and slow to light up, and leds.

I did look at these:

For a potential dimmer solution, however shipping to the UK is more than the thing itself. I can’t find anything else that would provide a dimmer solution. There does appear to be a gap in the UK market for this!

It’s the holy grail for UK/European home automation, though I can’t imagine Philips will be happy if/when someone releases it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope xioami come up with something. I have been more than pleased with everything I have from them. Build quality and finish seem excellent. I’m also thinking my next phone would be from them.

do you mean the xiaomi wired switches?

Hmmm. So in a two gang box, you could use a live as live, and rewire the other live as a neutral (at both the such end and the light fitting end). That would work, right?

You won’t have any wires to control the light then

The two switched lives could could still go to the lights?

If you’re using a switch that needs a live and neutral, you need at least three wires, other than earth, at the switch. A live and neutral to power it and another live, which is the switchable one, back to the bulb.

Yes, so a two gang wall plate world usually have 2 lives, and 2 switched lives. Keel the switched lives for each light, but use one live to feed power and convert one live to a neutral.

Bobby found a lot of dimmers on DE market
does it should be wireless with an app ?
and what is the price range that suits an UK buyer?

I was planning to offer complete ready made systems for DIY enthusiasts
and this HA platform was my first choice :slight_smile: