Unable to create backup while upgrading

Bit at a loss here… Home Assistant is actually running fine and I’m able to do upgrades ( currently running 2019.9.2 ).

But each time I want to do an update, if I try to select the option: Create a snapshot ( backup ) of Home Assistant Core before, my system fully freezes and becomes unresponsive.
If I look at the list of saved backups, my last one was from 2019.7.* and I’m sure I had the problem already with 2019.8.*

Is there anything I can check to see why backups are not functioning?

Running Home Assistant supervised ( debian linux ).

Have a look in the supervisor error log.

After the freeze I need to reboot the host and when Home Assistant is functioning again, there are no error lines in the Supervisor log.

Could there be something with the DB that the backup could just take very long? ( although I’m running on an Intel NUC i5 10th gen with 16GB ram and SSD disk, reboot and upgrade are super fast )

How big is your database?

Currently not able to ssh into it ( not on the network ), is there a way to check the db size in the UI?

Added the filesize check in the config to create an entity…
home-assistant_v2.db: 929.49 MB

That shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes or so on your system

Yeah thought that would not be the bottleneck… like I said a bit worried and at a loss what this could be.
Happy things are still running, but my gut tells me something is really off because creating snapshots should be something trivial that should work :confused:

Do you have enough free disk space to create a snapshot backup?

It’s a 500GB ssd so I would guess so… running some other containers on it, but those are using files through mapped drives from my NAS.
Supervisor system info says: Host used space 13.7 %

What happens if you try to do a manual backup?

Ok I did a manual backup and that went fine ( took 2 minutes ), directly after that I did the upgrade to 2019.9.3 ( without selecting to take another backup ) and that went through straight away.

I will try again to do the backup/upgrade in one go next time. But with the manual backup the system did not freeze up like previous turns so I guess it is currently fine.