Unable to get SSL cert from Nginx Proxy Manager. Getting Internal Error

Hi, I solved, oppenin port 80,81,443 in my server and my DNS I gave in zone editor the ip of the computer installed Nginx Proxy Manager

So I came across this because I was getting the Internal Error but looking at Post 5 I realized my problem, which is probably most of the DuckDNS people here’s problem as well.

With DuckDNS you need to set Nginx SSL to Use a DNS Challenge & from the DNS Provider list choose DuckDNS
You then need to login to DuckDNS.org & copy your token to the dns_duckdns_token=your-duckdns-token box so it looks something like dns_duckdns_token=123abc-zyxwv9876-1234-abcd-1a2b3c4d5e

Since I was renewing mine I forgot that & I’m guessing those here did as well. Any future lookers as well, since there wasn’t a solution yet hope it helps

4 Likes

Just ran into this problem and this solution worked 3 times in a row

delete the SSL cert under ‘SSL certificates’
go back to ‘proxy hosts’ and edit the offending proxy host
goto ‘SSL’ and ‘request a new SSL certificate’, enter email address and agree to the terms … that’s it … don’t use ‘force SSL’ or anything else … click save

3 times in a row I got new cert and no internal error

then go back into offending Proxy host and edit again … I was then able to add ‘force ssl’, ‘HTTP/2 support’ etc

loaded into my browser and no SSL errors

hope this helps someone

2 Likes

OMG
Thank you so much for this
Been trying things for hours
SERIOUSLY … WHY is this not in the notes for this addon

Thanks Buddy! Saved the day.

I was able to fix this by setting another port than 80 on the addon.

(emulated_hue must run on port 80 for alexa to find it)

I forwarded the other port to WAN 80 and was able to get a ssl cert.

That took me around 3 days…

I was so focused on the freakin Port 443 to 8123 that I didn’t even realize this could be the problem.

Thanks, this works perfect for me!

since i ran into the same problem running Home Assistant in Docker, here is what helped:

• disable force SSL in SSL cert settings
  • renew SSL cert
  • enable force SSL

maybe this helps sb.

1 Like

Not sure what happened on my end - access to duckdns stopped last night and logs showed new issues with SSL. Recreating the cert in NGINX was the fix. For some reason the add-on data was wiped (my saved login wouldn’t work). I had to use the initial login (example/change me), then set everything up from scratch. Since it had been a couple years since my initial setup (and without failure in that time!), the reminder to add the challenge for DuckDNS was very helpful.

Since this may help someone out: Following the quick video on the add-on Info page, one hangup I had was that after creating the proxy host and clicking on the link, it would not load HA for me to log in. The link was using https when it needed to be http (since there is no cert). After logging in through http://mydomain, I was able to go back and successfully make a new SSL cert to get my site back up and running.