Unable to play local mp3 to Google Home

Which is exactly what I do, and if I recall stated earlier in the thread.

You’re right. I admit, I didn’t read this whole thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think confirmation by multiple sources improves the reliability of any information offered :smiley:

(Either that OR Evidence of a conspiracy ! :male_detective: :rofl: )

+1 on it being a conspiracy

I only see you mentioning that you can play media from a local source (I don’t see you specifically mentioning using a reverse proxy for secure remote access). I think Steve’s comment is useful for those who might not realize how to enable remote access and still be able to cast local media, and I don’t believe it was meant to reduce your contribution.

It may have been another thread with the same issue, my mistake.

1 Like

All good, no worries.

1 Like

I am having similar problems to some of the early posters in that I cannot get a file to play or display from the www or local directory when trying to use http in Chrome browser. I am using hassio v3.8 build for an Intel NUC and I am on HA v0.104.3. I also have DUCKDNS setup and working for remote access. When using duckdns path I get This page isn’t working ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE, when I use a directipaddr I get 404 Not found. Each of the responses is similar in nature which suggests a security access issue but I have logged into the host and using file commands determined that all security groups are rwx suggesting there is open access to the file. I have read through many different posts chasing down this rabbit hole with no luck. Anyone have ideas for me? I am not super linux literate but willing to learn and try things out.

As I suspected, it was a security/permissions issue. My files were all associated with the root account and I needed to change them over to use the hassio account. Learned this clue from another thread. This was done using the CHOWN command. SO, I can now play the media file in a browser. On to seeing if I can now get it to play on a google home.

Hi. I’ve seen this configuration, but when you can the entity_id, where did u setted it up? how I set it? how I setup my google home as an itentity, so I can call the service to that itentity? Can anyone help me? Thank’s for any help

There’s documentation for that here.

Hi @firstof9. Very thanks for your fast reply. And what about this here? I need to do this too? or just the one you mentioned? Because in this one I seen, it says need https and external access, and I only have local access. Thanks

No you do not.

Ok. But i’m a bit confused with documentation. It only shows:

cast:
   media_player:
      - host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and where I specify the name? So on entity_id I can do something like: media_player.my_google_home?
where do I specify that “my_google_home”? can it be like this:

cast:
   media_player:
        name: my_google_home

Is that way? Thanks

Read the very first paragraph.

Yes. It says to make the integration trought integrations in configuration panel. But for example, on Kodi I do that way:

media_player:
   - platform: kodi
     name: main_player
     host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
     port: xxxx

then I simply do:

- service: media_player.play_media
  data_template:
     entity_id:
        - media_player.main_player

If I do that for cast :

cast:
   media_player:
        name: my_google_home

it gives invalid key for “name”…

Please format your code properly. Use three backticks ( ``` ) above and below the code. However, the docs that you pointed to above don’t list name as a valid option. One way to change the entity ID after you set up the integration is by going to developer tools > states, clicking on the information icon next to the entity, clicking the gear, and changing the entity ID in the window that appears. Or you can go to configuration > entities and change it there.

@Tediore thats what I wan’t! Ty bro :wink: Problem solved eheh thank’s

i have the same issue, did you find a solution?
Thanks

How did u do that?
I think it is the same issue i have.
Thanks