Unable to upgrade from 0.83

Hi all.

I have been unable to upgrade hass.io for a while now. When I click upgrade in the web-ui, the docker container is unable to start:

root@hassio:/mnt/data/docker/volumes# docker ps --all
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
1d91e7f99f8b homeassistant/armhf-hassio-supervisor “python3 -m hassio” 5 seconds ago Up 3 seconds resin_supervisor
bc20d844195a homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant “/bin/entry.sh pyt…” 14 minutes ago Exited (1) 13 minutes ago homeassistant
6f3b3c99f8f5 homeassistant/armhf-addon-ssh “/usr/bin/entry.sh…” About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:22->22/tcp addon_core_ssh
8a895c3caa65 46aa334ad583 “/usr/bin/entry.sh…” 11 months ago Exited (0) 11 months ago optimistic_chandrasekhar
6ab2e47108d4 46aa334ad583 “/usr/bin/entry.sh…” 11 months ago Exited (0) 11 months ago heuristic_jang

root@hassio:/mnt/data/docker/volumes# docker logs homeassistant -f
Failed to import the site module
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site.py”, line 544, in
main()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site.py”, line 531, in main
known_paths = addsitepackages(known_paths)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site.py”, line 328, in addsitepackages
addsitedir(sitedir, known_paths)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site.py”, line 207, in addsitedir
addpackage(sitedir, name, known_paths)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site.py”, line 163, in addpackage
for n, line in enumerate(f):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/codecs.py”, line 321, in decode
(result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xbc in position 6: invalid start byte

I have to reboot everytime, to get back to 0.83. Super annoying…

Maybe it’s time to switch from ResinOS to HassOS?

Okay great - didn’t know that. But I cannot even make a snapshot successfully.

Do you have access to the files (e.g. by using the Samba add-on)? You could download your files manually and restore them afterwards by copying them back to the fresh installation.

yeah, I can easily scp them over. But I am unsure what will happen to my z-wave setup and configuration.

i’m no z-wave user myself, but did you see this already?

You could do the fresh install on a 2nd sd card, restore your config including the files mentioned in the linked post and check if it works.

I don’t use zwave myself, but AFAIK if you backup your entire configuration and use the same coordinator in your future setup everything should still be working.

I am a zwave user and I’m confident that will work. I have done it myself moving from a RPi to a NUC then to Docker on the same NUC. Never had any issue moving my zwave config over.