Unifi Video Automation triggers

I’ll see what I can do to write up another copy of the script for multiple cameras and post it in my github repo. I’ll let you know when it’s done!

See if this works for you, of course you’ll have to modify the camera names and IDs at the top of the script:

Thanks @mzac! I was trying to hard to get it down to 3 lines, must remember to follow the KIS principle :wink:

For anyone interested in using non-local MQTT you can use the following:

MQTT_SERVER="yyy.xxx.com"
MQTT_PORT="12345"
MQTT_TOPIC_BASE="whatever"
if echo $LAST_CAM | grep -n1 $CAM1_ID; then
# Camera 1 triggered
    if [[ $LAST_EVENT == "start" ]]; then
       echo "Motion started on $CAM1_NAME"
       mosquitto_pub -h $MQTT_SERVER -p $MQTT_PORT $MQTT_USER_PASS -r -t $MQTT_TOPIC_BASE/$CAM1_NAME -m "ON" &
     else
       echo "Motion stopped on $CAM1_NAME"
       mosquitto_pub -h $MQTT_SERVER -p $MQTT_PORT $MQTT_USER_PASS -r -t $MQTT_TOPIC_BASE/$CAM1_NAME -m "OFF" &
     fi

fi

and the auth section had an error that needed to be fixed on my system…

if [[ -n "$MQTT_USER" && -n "$MQTT_PASS" ]]; then
   MQTT_USER_PASS="-u $MQTT_USER -P $MQTT_PASS"
 else
   MQTT_USER_PASS=""
 fi

@Camwise care to share on exactly how you got your script to auto-run on the NVR? Definitely not my area of expertise :slight_smile: I currently have the unifi-video-mqtt.sh just running from the command prompt for testing but I’d like to push it into production for full time use…

Hey pjo,

I’m no expert either. Spent a crap ton of time reading different things, and feel like i’m 50% of the way there. I copied the unifi-video-mqtt.sh script into the init.d directory. Then run the following command:
sudo update-rc.d unifi-video-mqtt.sh defaults

This starts up the script on boot of the nvr, but after a couple days it stops running. I think we need to create an init.d service instead of simply running the script this way, but i don’t know how. Haha I’m a hobbyist and that’s it on my skills. Assume in the service there would be some type of restart option in it.

Hi, I’m looking for something like that. But I’ve run my unfivideo NVR on a windows machine … Is there any way to make it work? Some mqttt client for windows, who can read the folder?

@mzac

I need to ask, I use username and password.
But when I fill it in the unifi-vide-mqtt.sh it gives me this when i run it:

./unifi-video-mqtt.sh: line 22: =-u myrealusername -P myrealpassword: command doesn't exist.

@kernehed did you use the chmod command on your script?

Has any of this worked with Unifi Protect?

Thank you for this.

I modified the Dockerfile and script to get this working on a QNAP which is also running my NVR Container but all working well.

Contemplating a move to UniFi protect. Any updates with getting this to work?

@Camwise
Looking at getting the motion detection in the cameras trigger a message to be sent to selected devices. Would you like to share how you got the motion sensors to trigger your lights?

I have set up the first part with mqtt reading from the log. Thanks!

I just create a Binary Sensor in Hass for it. Then when it switches from off to on I created an automation to turn on my switch.porch_lights. I then run a 1 minute timer. When that timer is up I start another 10 second timer while I simultaneously turn off the porch light. The automation to turn on the porch light has a condition to not turn on if that 10 second timer is active. This is due to the fact that the porch light turning off triggers another motion event and I needed something to keep it from having the light in a constant on/off loop.

binary_sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Driveway Motion
    state_topic: "camera/motion/Driveway"

Then my automation looks like this:

alias: Driveway Motion
  trigger:
  - payload: 'ON'
    platform: mqtt
    topic: camera/motion/Driveway
  condition:
  - condition: state