Universal-hub from 433 to IR,wifi,Bluetooth,866,..etc IS THERE?/

Actually there is a “standard” for IR and RF kinda

For 433 you got a RTL_433 (github) binary that can decode a lot of messages recieved based on protocols and such, of course per company/product it will vary but seeing it work on my RTL-SDR stick it was nice to see that ppl opened there garage or recieving weather stations from neighbours. all using different protocols and such

IR generaly consists of “group/device” +“toggle” +“command” otherwise you could use your remote in a media shop to turn up the volume of every media device present … (tv/stereo for example) or have wierd effects when you change volume at home and your airco is set to -15 since that is not happening (in general)
however the protocol used between devices wil differ as well (the way IR is send)

same goes for other “protocols” that send “open” data over the air there is some way to filter if multiple device(s) are near each other… althoug results still vary depending on the type of remote/device

RTL_433 is not a standard.
It is a library of a few device specific codes and you still end up with code that you need to link to your action.

What you describe is actually the case.
I have worked at a Radio/TV shop and the remotes could wreak havoc because different models and brands reacted to a remote for another device.
RF and IR devices have become better than in the past, but it is mainly the more expensive devices that have evolved.

There are several issue with RF and IR.
A lot of devices share the same spectrum, so you need a signal that is long enough to make sure that the device part of the signal is unique, but longer signals are prone to more errors and there are a lot of possibilities for errors, like

• the transmitting of the signal will introduce small errors, like not getting the exact amplitude or not holding it the correct length of time or other factors.
  • the signal will be influence “in flight” from other lights in IR cases, like sun light and artificial lights and radio interference in RF cases, like power lines, microwave, DECT phones, wireless doorbells and so on.
  • the receiving of the signal that have to interpret of the amplitude is actually 2 or 3 when the value measured is coming out at 2.5.

This means that longer signals might make your signal unique, but also more “unreadable”.
You could add checksums into the signal, but this again increase the signal length.

So you are limited in the signal length and that means there will now and then be overlaps of signals.

1 Like

@wally loving your feedback !

Anyway the RTL_433 is indeed not a “Standard” but its a bit of code that allows one to decode different messages/protocols that exsist by plugging in a USB SDR dongle and firing up the binary resulting in messages recieved in a human readable format.

It was more intended as a “show & tell” kind of thing there are standards although a lot co-exist on the same communication medium (RF/IR and prob others) in some form(at) or another.

To say there is one unified thing …you know already its not.

your and my example of “media/tv/radio shop” might differ a bit in time frame :wink: lets say 20 years guessing I also myself was the “remote” before IR was a thing and needed to walk to the set to change channel.

but yeah the rest of your post explains our “different” (not so different in the end by the way) approach of the matter(s)
I think diving in to the nitty gritty (aka the specific issues of IR) or RF are a whole different subject …
I done a lot of development in that area IR related in those days …

IF we get back on track,
Our point is more → IR signal from a specific TV remote to a code that is usable to be translated into a action on something else → start the dishwasher via a wifi signal for example or RF

that’s a lot of IR/RF remote(s) in the world to be reconized and translated into something “Actionable”

for @mookee I would recommend to start with a “arduino” kit that has IR/RF/BT/wifi and such and connect it via Node-Red to a “lamp” or “button” and do some back and forth testing if you can hook up A device to send a command resulting in a visual action/indication or recieving said command on the other side via a different medium

just take 2 IR remote(s) from home and try to have the same led to blink via such a way…

:confused: öööhh

but if the homey pro has an app to figure out all those problems - CAN DO THE TRICK - isnt there a china version of it?

and in my case btw. i use intertechno remotes… so the intertechnoprotokol…

they made a device(s) intertechno.at that can do some of the tricks am talking about, but those morons didnt inklude IR which makes the whole thing useless more or less… -.- also its not cheap , around 250-300$

so i was looking for a device which has IR included and found the homey pro…but ridiculously expensive

so i searched for universal hub or bridge with IR, blue… and found some decent looking cheap china thingys, but cant figure out if they do or can what i need or are for smartphones , idknow…

so i wrote here, hoping you know more about those thingys ! /

and it has to be ready to use. am a poor freelance designer and entrepreneur and cant effort whatever…and the people i want to offer those devices too are simple customers (and not necessarily rich). so i need a cheap and already working device.
maybe a reprograming of a chinadevice would be possible and a good thought btw, thanks!, but actually i dont know the first thing of how nor how to pay someone to program it, nor the app that is probably necessary then too ( though you might could use the app of someone else and just make a firmware update…!? sounds like a rabit hole even with a budget :confused: )

so many thanks for all your detailed answers but if you might have some more of your time to focus on those already existing cheap endproducts that can do IDK what, it might be very helpful hopefully to me.

thanks !! c:

I looked at Intertechno.at and it is a closed ecosystem, so you IR, RF, BT devices only work with intertechno’s own devices.
You can get thirdparty connections, like Alexa, through its hub called MasterGate.

The Homey system you also looked at is a competing product to HA and does the same.
The user experience might be a bit more polished, which is what you pay home, but that also means the flexibility of the product is lesser than HA.

what is HA?

i found out that some othe brand 433mhz sockets use and work with the intertechno protocol or an intertechno remote…

HA = Home Assistant

still dont get what you mean!?)

what about that thing Homey Bridge - TechPunt

lol… am at the home assisten forum :smiley: sorry , i get it now

but to get that right, the home assistent can what i need?? what does it cost

Erm…how did you even consider asking a question on a forum you don’t have a clue about what it is about??
The least thing you could have done is search and read

but, home assistant is public domain software, and is therefore for free…

ääähhh :see_no_evil: mea culpa

but just to excuse myself, if you dont know the homeassisten concept and you search for smart home forum, here is where you get ; so, here i am ;D üps

Well, you found a huge community for smart home automations based on Home Assistant, which is free software, so you just need the hardware.

yeah, i read myself into it a bit, and it seems to me that home assistent is more like a managmentsoftware on a mini computer than a signaltransforming device…buuut, so is it like that the mini pc is sending the signals to the devices in HA instead of the smartphone. is it all about wifi, i didnt get that? also if you would add a 433mhz, bluetooth, IR, etc. module on the mini PC with HA , would it transform as i described?/

seems kinda tricky anyway, but a HA device could be a way to go, true

though there is still the userbility problem, and i actually need a userready device kinda…

but thanks for all your answers, if its all i can get here its fine, thanks for your helps!!

If you define a specific device as the transmitter and a specific device as the receiver, then you can make it “userready”.
If you want it to be able to handle any device in either ends, then it needs to be setup for those devices on the fly.

Home Assistant is a home automation central.
It receive signals from sensor and keep track of their states and it send action signals to actionable devices.
These action signals can be manually triggered or based on events from the sensors.

hey guys… i have a new one.

is there miniversions on the market you know of that can do one or other?

so a mini thingy that can rt to wifi
so a mini thingy that can rt to bluetooth
so a mini thingy that can rt to IR
so a mini thingy that can rt to RT

would do the trick as well… so you could buy in addition for your needs… should be from one single brand though and even same looking…

if you know these kind of devices please submit… thanks again!

working with a homeassisten device as wally described could do the trick though. is there a readymade device with all protocols ?
and "If you define a specific device as the transmitter and a specific device as the receiver, then you can make it “userready” - is that possible via an firmware and customiceable via an simple app in HA?

thanks, bye

btw. in my search tuya is my best guess yet… the seem to have the hardware and an open source development drag an drop system for dummies … i started talking to them…lets see

You should maybe try to play around with Home Assistant a bit.
It will give you a greater understanding of your situation.

1 Like