Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

Do you have access to an RS485 to USB adaptor?

Might be worth trying one in case there is an issue with your Waveshare or still a config option wrong with it?

@HVG I have a trouble shooting favour to ask.

I have two open issues on my GitHub.

Could you please confirm what version of my Integration you have installed?
Did you install 0.4.11 or 0.4.13?

Can you change select.solax_charger_use_mode without it reverting back to the previous option?
For example if you are in Self Use Mode and change to Force Time Use. Does it stay in Force Time Use or revert back to Self Use Mode after a short period of time?

Hi Will.
Iā€™ve tried disconnecting the RS485 from the inverter, and it doesnā€™t obtain a stable link. With it connected it does.
When I get a stable link it shows the serial number on that sensor. I have enabled all the sensors and this is the only one that displays data.
All the lights are doing what they should. I canā€™t see a reason to suspect the device has an fault.

In desperation, I tried your package for the X1AC_group_read and that works. So all good I guess!

Maybe we are upsetting the X1-AC by trying to read too many registers that donā€™t exist on it?
I started to convert X1AC_group_read into a cut down Integration yesterday. Iā€™ll try and finish it off tomorrow.

Hopefully that should work the same as X1AC_group_read

1 Like

Thanks Will.
All I need to do now is work out how to get it running! I want to try and stop the overnight force charge early if I know Iā€™ll be generating a lot of solar power the next day. Going to be fun!

I have done a very cutdown X1-AC-Test-5

What I noticed just going from 0.4.13 to X1-AC-Test-5 was that was it didnā€™t fully replace 0.4.13

So I removed the Integration from the Integration page. Deleted SolaX out of hacs. Mde sure there wasnā€™t a solax_modbus folder in custom_components and then downloaded X1-AC-Test-5 through HACS rebooted then added the Integration through the Integration page.

Donā€™t forget you also need to rename solax_x1ac_group_read.yaml to solax_x1ac_group_read.yaml.old or something to disable it.

Hi Will,
I removed solax from HACS and this removed the custom_components folder, so I rebooted, installed the X1-AC-test-5 and the integration, nothing selected. I still only got the inverter serial number, so Iā€™ve gone back to the package for now.
Iā€™m away until the weekend now so wonā€™t be able to try anything else until then.

Mark

Did you get any errors in the log or anything? That last Test was reading even less registers than the packaged one. So not sure whatā€™s going on?

I used 0.4.11 for the initial installation but updated to 0.4.13 as soon as it was available.
Yes it does switch back to Self Use Mode after ~10 seconds.

Have you tried changing the work mode when you have active Solar PV?
Or have you only tried to change it during the night?

I have tried it while under load from the panels, I can try at night too if you want.

I was wondering if you only tried at night. At night the Inverter can go to sleep.

What scan interval are you using on your Inverter?

Is you Inverter connected to the Cloud, or has it never been connected to the Cloud?

I havenā€™t changed the polling frequency of the integration from the default so it is set to 15 seconds.
The inverter is not connected to the cloud and never has been, just to the local network.

Been playing with this today and love the overall work being done on this. I have an X1-Hybrid Gen3 and i can connect to the LAN and I see things coming in within HA, so great and pretty amazing looking at the lack of public data on this from Solax.

However as soon as I do that I donā€™t get any data anymore in SolaxCloud nor in the IOS app for that matter which I assume is picking up the data from the cloud. I am connected using the Pocket Wifi dongle. If I remove the LAN cable effectively disabling the HA integration via modbus integration, the solax cloud start picking up things again after a couple of minutes.

Any ideas why this is the case? Is this a behavior to expect ?

I like the solax cloud app etc, so I want to keep that aspect, on the other hand I do want to control the work mode of the inverter so I can charge the battery on my demands and for that the modbus integration is just perfect.

EDIT: Removing the dongle does not make the cloud aspects work either, so it seems I am forced to use the dongle. Connecting to that IP directly does not work as it is meant to send out only to the cloud.

Have you tried the unclock_inverter button, do you gain control of select.solax_charger_use_mode

Does the X1-Hybrid have a serial RS485 modbus port? In that case you could use the pocketlan interface for the cloud and the serial port for HA.
See the wiki, Gen4 Installation notes, it could be usefull for gen3 also, but @wills106 knows this better ā€¦

I canā€™t comment on the Pocket WiFi or Pocket Lan behaviour as I donā€™t own either.

But on the X1 Gen3 you donā€™t need either for Cloud connection. You can connect to the Cloud using the Built in Ethernet port at the same time as using Modbus over TCP.

Instead of registering the Pocket xxx you register the Inverter using the details on the side of the Inverter.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply on this, really appreciated. I didnā€™t think about that as the SW of pocket Wifi was the only thing I could find, no SN sticker to find on the inverter but will reinspect maybe I overlooked something silly. Thanks!!

When you are connected to the Inverter via the Integrationā€¦

Goto Integration Page for SolaX Modbus, then at the bottom click on disabled entities

Turn on registration code

Wait 30 or so seconds and look at the entitie

If you want your serial number do the same for sensor.solax_series_number

Whoa! Really cool stuff you make.