Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

If you connect it like this you don’t measure your self-consumption directly either, you just measure the same as the utility meter. I guess this just makes the inverter compute the self-consumption based on its internal calculation of the generated kWh.

Fun project: create a Home Assistant integration that uses a Modbus-to-Modbus-TCP box to simulate the Eastron meter, feeding it the measured values from your utility meter.

In the UK we don’t have the P1 port on our Utility / Smart Meter’s. That’s why we need the extra meter in between.

1 Like

I see you added it as a Gen3, what makes it a Gen3 instead of a Gen4? Because it has no built-in Ethernet, I’d think it was a Gen4…

At this stage it doesn’t really matter. It’s just to determine which entities to display.
The X3 Mic was released around the same time as the Gen3 Hybrids. The single phase Gen3 equivalent PV only Inverters also don’t have built in Ethernet, but they are closely linked to the Gen3 in register locations and rounding of numbers.

There are a number of registers / entities on Gen4’s that don’t exist on the earlier Gen2 / Gen3. Also some of the rounding is different on the Gen4 compared to the earlier ones.

Depending on if the Modbus docs I have seen for the Mic Pro are correct it might end up with it’s own classification. As potentially all of the Modbus Registers are in a completely different location on the X3 Mic / Mic Pro compared to the other Inverters.

That’s why I am expecting it to potentially error out while trying to communicate to your X3 Mic.

1 Like

OK, then the docs should probably be updated a little because they now assume that only Gen4 devices have no built-in Ethernet.

so i have a Solax X1 Hybird G4 when i deep scanned via nmap i shows:

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION

80/tcp open nagios-nsca Nagios NSCA

|_http-server-header: MySocket Server

502/tcp open mbap?

My solax is connected to my LAN via wifi (pocket wifi i think)

Does this mean port 502 is open and i can query it via my normal LAN?
The IP of my wifi/inverter is 192.168.1.145
I can ping it and access the IP/DHCP setup page so its visable.

I have put the Solax.yaml file in my !includes dir

But doesnt see any data?

The PocketWiFi / Pocket Lan does not provide Modbus, they are essentially a Web Server.

Have a look at the Wiki for connecting your Gen4. Gen4 Installation Notes · wills106/homeassistant-solax-modbus Wiki · GitHub A device like the Waveshare is recommended.

Just installed a Solax X3-Fit-10.0E ( AC non hybrid) serial no F3DE10_____ not sure if its gen 2,3 or 4 how do you tell?
It has COM , BMS and port for pocket lan/wifi No ethernet internally as far as I can see.
It has DRM 0,1,5 ticked on the nameplate.
Can you use a generic usb to Lan adapter to access the web interface?
Or would a rs485 to LAN adapter on the com port be better and can this access the web interface too?
Sorry about all the newby questions!

I think I have answered my own question here. The manual supplied (614.00455.01) refers to update manager X3G3_ Its the only mention/hint I could find.
I know this thread is about modbus connection, but before trying that I would like to access the web interface. I have ordered a generic usb to LAN adapter so should soon find out if that works, I assume the internal software is Linux based so hopefully will recognise the right driver.

Is it this Version https://www.solaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/614.00455.02X3-RetroFitG2User-Manual.pdf

Or this Version? https://www.solaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/614.00554.00-X3-Fit-G4-User-Manual-20220509-EN.pdf

If it’s the first it has built in Ethernet which can be used with both the SolaX Cloud Portal and Modbus over TCP. If it’s the second you will need a Pocket Lan / Pocket WiFi for the Cloud and a USB - RS485 or Ethernet - RS485 (Prefered option)

I would personally cancel the order for the USB - Ethernet adaptor. I don’t believe anyone has reverse engineered the Pocket Lan / Pocket WiFi. I am guess the webserver aspect is built into the Pocket device.

Edit:
Another way to to tell if it has built in ether is by an additional Serial number on the Inverter.

You will have:
Inverter Serial: F3DE10…
Register Serial: …

The Register Serial is what you use to set it up on the Cloud Portal

@Kars Have you tried to connect to your X3 MIC yet?

If you use X3-Mic-Test 3a does it give you the error in your log:
unrecognized inverter type - serial number : MU80XXXXXX

Or is your Serial all jumbled up? As in UM08XXXXX

Hi Will, no, not yet. Been busy doing other stuff first. I hope to get around to this later this week.

I have bought an USR-N510 RS232/RS485/RS422 (old version unfortunately, oops), according to the specs that should work too.

I have finally got the Serial number reading in the Integration (X3-Mic-Test9) that’s all it does at the moment.

When you get chance could you see if your Inverter Serial Number reads correctly MU80XXXXXX or is yours inverted as well? You will get something like UM08XXXXX if it is inverted.

It doesn’t matter either way, I just need to know how it’s displayed.

1 Like

It seems to be neither its 614.00455.01, I wonder if its a gen1, but it does have the registration number R2.(built in ethernet??) I could not see a seperate port inside or out. does it use the same connector as the com/rs485 port?
It has two can bus ports inside.
I tried the generic usb->Lan but could not get a connection,
Ended up buying a pocket LAN which works on the cloud OK.
Tried the ethernet router to com port but that did not connect.

Can you get some photo’s of your Inverter inside and out? Feel free to PM them if you wish?

I am guessing that the rj45 com port on the motherboard is wired for rs485 or ethernet on different pins so you could connect to either by using the correctly wired interface cable. there is one connecting to the external com socket, maybe that cable does not have the correct wiring for ethernet, but a direct connection to the motherboard would?

That looks very much like a Gen3.

We have another user with a different version of the Retrofit, their Serial starts F3E10.
I’ll try and find out who it is and ask if there ethernet port was labelled incorrectly.

If it is missing the Ethernet you will have to use the COM port and either an RS485 - USB adaptor or an RS485 - Ethernet Adaptor. The Waveshare is recommended as per the Wiki (Look under Gen4 Installation Options)

The gen3’s use a baud of 115200

hi, its via ip, i think it was lan also, cus it wont work via wifi?
the customer has the parallelbox also, but i dont think thats connected to anythin lan-ish… :slight_smile:
im on vaccation now also… but it is a X3-Hybrid-G1/G2 according to solaxcloud.

maybe its via wifi anyway, cus when i remote in to the inverter it says it has 192.168.1.8 ip but the customer has 25.X…