Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

Just now ordered the waveshare rs485->ethernet, after reading your wiki. Planning to power it by jumping from the ethernet switcher power supply (12volts) I could not find any other ethernet connection in the unit even though it reported a serial number for one. My plan is to control a smart evse controller depending on state of the Solax battery and or the PV power available. I have now installed a second solax inverter X3 hybrid Gen 4. Hoping to read both from the one waveshare unit using two addresses. Don’t have HA yet so will need to set that up. However as the smartevse controller is also on modbus there is the possibility to control everything from there (it has open souce code) by just connecting all modbus’s together, and just use HA as a monitor device, I haven’t thought it through yet. PS the meter is also modbus so maybe connect that up too all on different addresses if that’s possible.

Hi!

Really nice to be able to discharge from batteries to the grid. But it doesn’t matter what settings I choose, duration or battery min. It doesnt stop discharging by itself. I always have to set export duration to default to make it stop.

Anyone else got this problem?

/Fredrik

Are you using an automation to trigger button.solax_grid_export if so are you making sure you only trigger it once at the start of the automation?

If you are using my first example automation that one will carry on exporting as the price is above X amount and number.solax_battery_minimum_capacity_grid_tied is above the value set.

I prefer the second automation I have on GitHub where you use the time settings to limit the export.

No i didn’t use automations. Just manual. Tried a couple of times yesterday evening and then it worked with the time 15 min and 30 min. I will try more and see what happens.

I just have one question. My Solax X1 Boost connects to a Eastron SDM230 via RS485. If that is connected via Modbus, how can I connect to the inverter via Modbus?

I understand that you can daisy chain them but you have to have a master device. How does that work in this setup? Is the inverter the master?

On the Hybrid’s and X1AC you have a separate RS485 for the Meter and a separate one for the communications between Inverter and Computer.

The Inverter should be device 1 I am assuming.
Not really had many / any reports on people using an X1 Boost. So we will have to see what works / doesn’t work.

I didn’t really there was a separate meter port on the hybrids.

At the moment I can’t even get the meter to work at all, so once I have that working I’ll check this out.

Can you recommend an RS486 > Ethernet adapter please?

Is this any good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/USR-W610-Ethernet-Wireless-Converter-WatchDog/dp/B07DNWM62H/ref=sr_1_8?crid=8DQGVS5L2VQ3&keywords=modbus+ethernet&qid=1662375931&s=electronics&sprefix=modbus+ethernet%2Celectronics%2C47&sr=1-8

Does it need to be wireless? If you can run ethernet to your Inverter the Waveshare is a bit cheaper last I looked. Have a look at the Wiki on my Github there are a few links.

If you do need wireless it looks like it should work. You will have to follow the Waveshare setting’s page to get a general idea of how to configure it.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be wireless. I’ve just ordered the Waveshare version. Thanks.

Hello
I would need advice on how to set up the RS486 > Ethernet adapter
to forward solax data to me.
I am attaching a photo of both the adapter and the solax.
I set the Baud Rate the same as in solax, but when entering the ip address of the converter in home assist, it appears, see the picture.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have any error’s in your log?
It looks like it’s not detected the Inverter as you only have 5 or so entities.

Do you have anything like “unrecognized inverter type - serial number : {your_serial_number_here}” in your log?

Everything has already been solved, the problem was that neither the battery nor the solar panels were connected.

good day. I can’t get data reading from Solax G4 X3 hybrid 10 D to work. Data is read using waveshare eth to 485. HA returns inverter not recognized. see picture. Can someone please try to advise?

Can you please share the actual log errors instead of the overview.

Edit: You probably don’t have the Waveshare setup correctly though.

Finally manged to get HA setup and running in virtualbox in windows 10.
Connected to com ports of X3hybrid-10 H34A10I2444xxx) and X3retrofit-10 (F3DE10I2213xxx) via waveshare rs485>ethernet. ( com ports on different addresses, but also tried seperately connected)
hybrid reports all good values ( except inverter temp=0degs) retrofit reports all unavailable except temp = 38degs (ie sensible value)
looks like the retrofit has a different protocol or register range?
Is there a different config for this?

Your Retrofit doesn’t work as it’s an unknown serial I am guessing yours is an earlier version as the only one I knew of started with F3E.

You should have something like "unrecognized inverter type - serial number : {F3DE10xxx}" in your log file.

Your Hybrid isn’t fully supported either, I was only aware of H34B & H34T. It could be a really early one. Doesn’t explain the Inverter temp being 0deg. Perhaps it’s missing the sensor?

Could you please let me know the max Charge / Discharge of both Inverters.
(Charge / Discharge current - as indicated on the Inverter LCD or Cloud, not in the Integration)

I’ll then update the integration to properly support both of your Inverters.

@arwooldridge I have released 0.6.2 which adds support for your Inverters

Many thanks for that, I will check it out, I guess its just one file to update or do I need to reinstall the whole thing.
I checked the X3 hybrid H34A max charge/discharge from manual(614.00498.03) for versionD/M ( all versions 5.0kw to 15.0kw) is 30A this checks with the default setting via the LCD screen, I verified that this value could not be increased, only decreased.
The X3 retrofit F3DE is 35A max charge/discharge from the manual. The default setting was 25A via the LCD screen but that value could be increased to 35A as per manual (614.00455.01) according to the which the 35A applies to all 8.0 to 10.0kw E and C versions

You are best replacing the lot, but the changes were init and const.

Can you actual set it at 35A though? On other Inverters they have reduced the max compared to what’s in the manuals through firmware updates.