Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

As SolaX batteries are wired in Series they should act as a Single battery when connected together.
Unless they are on different firmware’s?

Indeed, your battery string voltage should show around 220VDC (each individual solax triple power battery is around 110 VDC)

Interesting, I’ve definitely got an issue somewhere along the line then. I have contacted the installers but I can’t see anything, it didn’t used to do this and it was something that seemed wrong prior to linking it all to Home Assistant. It used to show the full capacity, but something has gone wrong somewhere.

Currently none of the stats add up.

Were both batteries added at the same time? Or have you had an additional battery added since the initial install?

Both together in January.

What is your battery Voltage showing as?
In the SolaX Cloud are both batteries showing as the same Firmware? (Slave Version)
On your BMS what is the rotary DIP Switch set to?

Edit: If the 5.8kWh behave the same as the 4.5 & 6kWh batteries, you may actually see what appears to be 4 batteries in the cloud. As in BAT_PS1, BAT_PS2, BAT_PS3, BAT_PS4 despite only 2 unique Serial Numbers showing.

At the moment they’re showing the correct voltage, 230v.

Both have the same firmware, 2.02

Where would I find the switch you’re referring to?

It’s under one of the covers on the BMS.

As they are both on the same Firmware 2.02 and showing ~230v they seem to be correct.

Can you give an example? I only have a single battery show in the cloud, even though I have 3.

I only have the two, but it’s only ever shown up as one. However, it only ever shows half of what’s being used by the house.

The stats that I’m getting from Home Assistant make no sense, they also show the same disparity, but HA is saying that the other day I only used 1.5kWh from the battery, however it recharged with over 5kWh. It was discharging from full. The % didn’t add up either. It adds up if it only reflects using one battery though. I’ve set the batteries to discharge in the morning after the Octopus Go overnight rate ends, turning them off at 07:30 and then discharging again from 14:30. Solar tends to cover the day for the most part but the air source heat pump drains the battery very quickly so I try and avoid using it on battery power.

It seems like it’s discharging battery 2 all the time at a steady rate, though Battery 1 is following the schedule.

The only rotary switch I can find on my inverter (nothing on the batteries) is on/off.

The Orange line in the screenshot is the battery discharging, but it’s not the full amount being used by the house, it’s about half. The battery has dispensed nearly 2kWh today, which adds up with the battery % for one battery but not two.

You need to remove a cover on the BMS, which sits on top of the Master Battery.

Your system should be set to 1 as you have two batteries.

Edit:
For the Energy Dashboard you should be setup as follows:

1 Like

It’s difficult to get under the inverter, but I don’t have a switch like that. There is a port labelled BMS but it goes off somewhere that I can’t trace as it’s under the boarding in the attic. I’ve lifted the insulations and the cable from the BMS port going outside, so no idea if there is a switch out on the roof, but it would a bit of an odd place to put it.

That’s how the Energy dashboard is set up for me. The screenshot is from another dashboard I’ve set up giving me live figures.

That rotary DIP Switch in on the Battery BMS not the Inverter.

Unfortunately I have no idea where that is. The cable for that runs out to the roof.

Have a look at P18 onwards. https://www.solaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/T58-User-Manual.pdf

What version of this Integration are you on?

There are no sensors “Battery Charging Rate” & “Battery power discharge” in recent releases.
Are you using some template sensor?

I just renamed them so I had a better idea what I was looking at on the graph.

I’ve traced the cable around the house. It doesn’t go to a switch, it goes all the way around the house and I’ve traced it round to the main fuse board where it goes to a CT clamp.

I’d never really tried to trace any of the cables previously, I just thought everything to do with the batteries and solar panels was together in the attic.

If you want a realtime dashboard look into the “power-distribution-card”

Configured something like:

For long term stats, look at my previous post for the Energy Dashboard.

Edit: Solar PV, Battery DC, House load will never match up 100%. You need to factory in efficiency and AC-DC conversions, different voltage levels etc

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for that. I’ll look into it.

In the meantime I need to tell the installers that they missed out the BMS switch! Which would suggest it has been wrong the whole time. I did ask questions at the time and said that the readouts never matched, they just said it was normal.

Is it set to zero?

There isn’t one full stop. The BMS cable, rechecked it, runs direct to the first battery, no switch. Both batteries are then linked directly to each other. There is an S1 and an S2 light on the side of the first battery. They flash alternately.

There’s no switch on either side of the batteries, it’s just like this:

On both sides.

Is one battery taller than the other?