UPB lighting

I am seeing the same behavior as travis4710 in Aug '21 earlier in this thread. I see the following logs : 2024-04-29 18:42:41.130 WARNING (MainThread) [upb_lib.upb] Timeout communicating with PIM, is it connected?
2024-04-29 18:42:51.131 WARNING (MainThread) [upb_lib.upb] Timeout communicating with UPB device ‘Living Room Appliance3’ (2_6_0)
2024-04-29 18:43:01.134 WARNING (MainThread) [upb_lib.upb] Timeout communicating with UPB device ‘Outside Appliance7’ (2_7_0)
I have two PIMs that are both HAI 36A00-1 and they exhibit the same behavior in Home Assistant in both Message mode and Pulse mode. I previously used this same PIM in OpenHab and it was able to get the status. I am using the Home Assistant Raspberry PI image on a Raspberry PI 5 with a serial Hat. Since someone mentioned using PIM UMC-DB9-W I will purchase it and see if I have the same result

Do you use the HAI PIM for programming the switches through UPStart?

My only guess at this point is that the pinouts for the serial connector are wrong. Perhaps Rx and Tx are crossed?

Yes, I use the same PIM in Upstart to configure the devices. I can send commands from Home Assistant and the device turns on and off. Home Assistant just can’t read UPB signals from the PIM. I had an extra serial cable so I replaced it and I still have the same result.

Here is a post from a while back where others are using the HAI PIM and are debugging their serial problems. Maybe there’s a hint in the post that will give a clue: https://cocoontech.com/threads/hai-upb-pim-upstart-connection.33350/

One suggestion I did see in there that might be good to try is to see if you can get a terminal program to read and write to the PIM.

I’m only taking stabs in the dark here… may something around the baud rate, parity, etc?? But you can write to the PIM which doesn’t make sense if the baud rate is wrong.

Is there a way you can see the serial setting when using UPStart? I’m assuming a Windows box, which appears you can get the serial settings (I googled “Windows get serial port baud rate”). I’d try it but don’t have a Windows machine handy.

I ordered the PIM with model number UMC-DB9-W and it came in today. I hooked it up to the Raspberry PI 5 and I still have the same error messages. I also ssh into the OS and made sure that everyone can use the serial device by running command chmod 777 /dev/AMA0. I am running the latest version Core 2024.5.2

That’s what I’m using for my PIM.

I’m using this cable (or similar) to connect the PIM to my HA box.

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Converter-Adapter-Prolific-Chipset/dp/B00QUZY4UG/

Thank you, Glenn. Based on your post I remembered I had a usb serial cable and I hooked it up and it is working like it should. For your reference, this is the link to the Serial HAT that wasn’t working for me : Serial HAT (RS232)

Does anyone have experience connecting the UPB PulseWorx Gateway? It is the upgraded version of the PIM-IP?