Update OS 10 - CPU & RAM use elevated

Hello everyone,
since I ran the update on OS 10 my HW Monitor through the system sensors shown quite the altered resource use.
CPU usage is up around 10% from 20 to 30 and the RAM is jojo-ing between 1.7 and 3.2 gig every few seconds.
Not that I don’t have the resources and everything does run fine, I run it on a yellow and managed to get a 8 gig cm4 model for it. But still, it is rather odd behavior.
Anyone else seeing this behavior?

1 Like

Hi,

On same OS on an RPI-4 and see no real change. Your CPU is running hot!

Hi Neil,
the HA Yellow was not designed with much ventilation.
Before the update with the around 20% load the temps where between 55 and 60.
I think until an update comes that fixes the load I’ll take of the case to get more fresh air to the heat sink.

EDIT:
the hottest part in the box is suprisingly not the Heatsink above the CM4 but the NVMe
yellow

Yes, both the CPU and CPU temp are up noticeably since the upgrade. I’ve installed Profiler and will try to get some data on the underlying cause later today.

Others have reported Motion eye causing this on OS 10.

At least on my end I don’t have motion eye on my system, only Frigate Proxy.
But I think I’ll start to turn off and on AddOns and intergrations to see what calms the system down.

My cpu use is also way up. It’s completely insane. I’ve seen a 35%+ increase in CPU usage. I am not running Motion Eye. Even without Frigate(which does run the CPU hard) I’m still idling at something like 30% usage on a 5th gen NUC(old, yes I know but still plenty powerful.)

Home Assistant Operating System developers need to be looking closely at this.

Anyone know who we should be tagging?

Don’t tag anyone. Post your observations in the OS release notes topic:

If asked you may have to create a new issue on github.

1 Like

Done, thanks!

Well, in the last few days my problem was solved.
It was the EMQX AddOn, and the released a fix directly adressing this exact problem.
Release v0.2.12 → “Replace health check to prevent high CPU and memory spike”
Has been described and discussed in issue #60