Update Philips Hue Devices with Home Assistant + Zigbee Native

Hi,

as far as I found out, the Zigbee devices sold under the Philips Hue brandnames are impossible to update without an official Hue Bridge and the official app.
Is this stoll correct, or is there any workaround available until now? Though, I didn’t find any…

Does anyone know it an old Hue Bridge (the V1 version) is also capable of updateing Hue devices to the latest firmware? The V2 costs around 50 € and only for firmware updating purposes it is a bit steep to me… the V1 is available (new and used) for under 20 €. But the V1 seems not supported any more for the cloud applications.

Currently I have a Motion Sensor (SML002) from Philips which has a rather old firmware which seems to have problems with the illumination detection, which should be fixed in a newer firmware release, according to some voices in the internet.

Thanks a alot for your help!

Cheers

Did you already found a solution for this ?

If your Hue bulbs are Bluetooth capable (I believe most are), the current iOS app (and possibly Android app) can directly connect to the bulb (no Hub required) and update firmware.

Update – Glanced at a motion sensor I had lying around; doesn’t look like these are Bluetooth-enabled. Might be out of luck.

I read you could do it with Z2M (Zigbee2MQTT), but ZHA, no.

Either way, the ones I bought are on the latest firmware. I’ll be in the same boat if that changes:

This is one reason I don’t wanna buy Philips Hue products, but also, I think their motion sensors are really good from what I’ve seen.

In the ZHA ota yaml config, you can add
z2m_remote_index: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Koenkk/zigbee-OTA/master/index.json
This works for me in ZHA. It took around 2 hours to detect updates of my Hue bulbs and switches.

The capability was added here, in end of february: OTA v2: provider and metadata rewrite by puddly · Pull Request #1340 · zigpy/zigpy · GitHub

But the HASSIO Dokumentation is not up-to-date with this.

1 Like

I don’t see a place where there’s a ZHA config. Where do I add it? What do I name it?

Are the instructions listed somewhere?

You can not (yet) update Philips Hue devices using Zigbee OTA via the ZHA integration out-of-the-box, but as mentioned you can manually enable it via advanced zigpy configuration by editing YAML and point to Koenkk’s Zigbee OTA repository used in Zigbee2MQTT/Z2M, however note that is experimental and should really only be used by developers. ZHA developers have said they have a plan to add their own repository with only tested and verified Zigbee OTA files from official sources. So for now you can choose to use unofficial sources at your own risk, which could brick the devices since flash from unofficial sources. Also, keep in mind that it is generally recommend to not update Zigbee devices unless you are having specific issues with a device and then only update that device. Read about that and more here:

FYI ZHA docs for end users will not get info on that since should only be used by developers, see here:

2 Likes

Hello,

in my case it worked - just add the following code to you configuration.yaml.

• Restart
  • Settings → System → Updates → Refresh
zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      z2m_remote_index: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Koenkk/zigbee-OTA/master/index.json
1 Like