Updates Broke the Climate Card

I recently updated Home Assistant (both OS and Software) to the latest version. Originally it was just the Software that got updated and after it was applied the climate card was no longer working for me. It cannot find my Thermostat. I have a Radio Thermostat CT80 using a Z-Wave Module. After updating Home Assistant, it acts like it doesn’t exist any more even though I do see it in the Z-Wave JS system and it reports as communicating. When I add the Thermostat Card, below is what I get.

So I did the Home Assistant OS update, which came out the next day from the update I did, to try and fix it. It didn’t fix the thermostat and now the Z-Wave JS in Settings > Devices & Service reports I am on an incompatible version (“Retrying setup: Z-Wave JS Server version is incompatible: 1.15.0 a version is required that supports at least api schema 16”). When I go to the Z-Wave JS tab on the left, it shows I am on version 8.11.9 and Z-wave JS 2 MQTT is version 6.6.0.

I am not sure what has changed and I can’t find much information about these changes (if that is what happened). Any one have any thoughts or having the same issues with Thermostat and/or Z-Wave JS?

Alright. I found a post from GitHub about a similar issue with Z-Wave JS (older post and talked about using docker - Retrying setup: Z-Wave JS Server version is incompatible: 1.2.1 a version is required that supports at least api schema 4 · Issue #50247 · home-assistant/core · GitHub). The OP mentioned having to remove Z-Wave JS and reinstall it to get it to update. My Home Assistant isn’t indicating it needs to update that integration, but I click on “Add Integration” at the bottom and looked for Z-Wave JS. It asked if I want to use Z-Wave JS with Supervisor add-on (and had a checked checkbox to use with Supervisor add-on). I clicked submit and it said it was already in the Supervisor add-on, but that somehow updated it as I no longer have the error. What’s more, now the Thermostat card is working as it should.

If anyone has trouble with Z-Wave JS after an update, try adding it back into the Supervisor Add-on (no need to remove the old one) to get it to reconfigure correctly (or update).

Well I thought it was fixed, but for some some reason it broke again. Trying the fix I did earlier doesn’t resolve it (in fact it returns an error). I am not sure why all of a sudden it thinks it is the wrong version when it was working just a moment ago.

Alright, so I figured out what it was. It seems a repo was missing. I found this post that talked about it (Z-Wave JS Server version is incompatible after 2022.5 update - #7 by freshcoast) and it resolved my issue. The missing repo was Home Assistant Community Add-ons, and after I added that I was able to update the Z-Wave JS to the latest version. I am guessing this got removed during one of the updates (I know some of the GUI elements have changed since I have been using HA).