Upgraded to 0.91, automation is getting a "Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: 'trigger' is undefined"

Your quotes look odd

value_template: '{{ trigger.payload_json[''last_device_mac''] == ''10:08:C1:XX:XX:XX''
      }}'

Try

value_template: "{{ trigger.payload_json['last_device_mac'] == '10:08:C1:XX:XX:XX'
      }}"

looks like petro is replying also so you are in good hands if that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hi petro, thanks so much for your help!!

I applied those changes but it resulted same error message :frowning:
I rebooted the machine, no change…

I removed the condition containing the mac, however, the error persisted.
Definitely seems to be in the data template.

I checked device_tracker.see; the parameters appear to be correct.
I then converted the yaml to json, input it into the UI for the automation but it gave me back the yaml as I had converted.

I’m sorry for all this,

Paul Buckley

thats odd, so you’re still getting the error?

I have the same issue. My automation par looks as follows.

- alias: Mark person as just arrived
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: group.mike
  action:
    - service: notify.ios_mischaiphonexs
      data:
        title: "Just Arrived"

The error message is:

Error while executing automation automation.mark_person_as_just_arrived. Error rendering template for call_service at pos 1: UndefinedError: ‘trigger’ is undefined

I’ve got the same issue here.

- alias: 'Alert for garage door'
    trigger: 
      - platform: state
        entity_id: cover.garage_door_state
    action:
      - service: notify.html5
        data_template:
          title: "Garage Door"

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.service] Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: ‘trigger’ is undefined

Same issue:

automation:
  - alias: 'Notify washingroom'
    hide_entity: False
    initial_state: 'on'

trigger:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.washer
        to: 'off'
        entity_id: binary_sensor.dryer
        to: 'off'

action:
      - service: notify.chat_telegram
        data_template:
          title: "Attention!"
            {{ trigger.to_state.attributes.friendly_name }} completed at {{ now().strftime('%a %-H:%M') }}
          data:
            displaytime: 30000
            icon: "info"
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.service] Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: ‘trigger’ is undefined

Same issue here:

- id: '1557697595652'
  alias: '[IFTTT] Turn on the PS4'
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      action: call_service
    event_type: ifttt_webhook_received
    platform: event
  condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ trigger.event.data.entity_id == ''media_player.playstation_4''
      }}'
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ trigger.event.data.service == ''media_player.turn_on'' }}'
  - condition: state
    entity_id: media_player.playstation_4
    state: 'off'
  action:
  - data_template:
      entity_id: '{{ trigger.event.data.entity_id }}'
    service_template: '{{ trigger.event.data.service }}'
  - data:
      entity_id: media_player.living_room_lg_tv
    service: media_player.turn_on

Was working fine before upgrading to 0.93.2, but now I get:

Error while executing automation automation.ifttt_turn_on_the_ps4. Error rendering template for call_service at pos 1: UndefinedError: 'trigger' is undefined

The funny thing is that when I trigger the recepie from the IFTTT site it works, but it doesn’t work when triggered from HA itself, nor with my voice command.

Are you pressing the button to fire the automation? Or are you waiting for it to naturally trigger? If you are pressing the button to test the automation, it will not work because the trigger object doesn’t exist. Because it didn’t trigger.

1 Like

@petro I have tried the following yesterday:

1. Trigerring via voice command (IFTTT) - didn’t work (used ot work)
  2. Trigerring via “Check now” on th IFTTT applet - works
  3. Trigerring via clicking the button in HA - didn’t work (which makes sense as you explained)

Today - 1) worked flawlessly, therefore I suspect that it was related to the major google outage the other day.

1 Like

I’m getting all sorts of similar issues on a very simple automation to push state to MQTT:

- id: '1574917260819'
  alias: Kitchen Motion to MQTT
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_motion_motion
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      payload_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'
      topic: home/kitchen/motion
    service: mqtt.publish

Results in this when a real triggered event occurs:

2019-11-28 00:16:03 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Executing Kitchen Motion to MQTT
2019-11-28 00:16:03 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Kitchen Motion to MQTT: Running script
2019-11-28 00:16:03 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Kitchen Motion to MQTT: Executing step call service
2019-11-28 00:16:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error while executing automation automation.kitchen_motion_to_mqtt. Error rendering template for call_service at pos 1: UndefinedError: 'trigger' is undefined

I’ve also tried changing it to every combination of (data, data_template, payload and payload_template):

trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_motion_motion
  action:
    data_template:

But the results are always the same:

2019-11-28 00:54:24 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Executing Kitchen Motion to MQTT
2019-11-28 00:54:24 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Kitchen Motion to MQTT: Running script
2019-11-28 00:54:24 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Kitchen Motion to MQTT: Executing step call service
2019-11-28 00:54:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error while executing automation automation.kitchen_motion_to_mqtt. Error rendering template for call_service at pos 1: UndefinedError: 'trigger' is undefined

Are you pressing the button in the UI? Did you read my post above that explains why that doesn’t work? If you press the test button in the UI, trigger will be undefined and you’ll get errors.

1 Like

for testing purposes one could however change the state in the Dev-tools/states page

• select the entity which triggers the automation (binary_sensor.kitchen_motion_motion)
  • set a state you want to be triggering the automation
  • click Set state.

If the automation would be correct, this would trigger the automation.

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I went out of my way to say “REAL triggered event”. I am not using the test button in the UI. This is an actual motion sensor triggering from a real motion event.

ah, didn’t see that. I would say, don’t use payload template. It may have a different environment and trigger may not be passed to it.

data_template:
      payload: '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'

and according to this issue back in 2017, your second automation should work.

It isn’t. I get the same error with that config.

are you restarting (or reloading automations) between making changes?

No, I wasn’t. That didn’t seem to be necessary. But I just decided to a second before you asked. :slight_smile:

it is. This config should work after you make changes and restart (or reload automations):

trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_motion_motion
  action:
    data_template:

Well, it’s a kitchen motion sensor and it is Thanksgiving so I should get plenty of data points to test! :smiley: