"Uploaded snapshot is too large" When Restoring Snapshot

Seeing that HASSOS 5 is stable now, I endeavored to upgrade from a supervised install on Rasbpian to HASSOS 5 64-bit on my Raspberry Pi 4. However when I flash my SSD and try to upload my snapshot I get an HTTP status code 413: Request Entity Too Large with response Maximum request body size 1073741824 exceeded, actual body size 1073743456. So I guess HASSOS can’t take snapshots more than 1gb? Mine is 3.58gb. Bummer there’s no warning about that when downloading a snapshot! I’m going to try to work around this (perhaps complete HA setup, ssh the backup to the pi, then restore? Or maybe try to strip some things out of my snapshot?) and I’ll update here with my progress.

I would suggest reporting this as a bug. Anyone who is using addons for long term data storage on their system’s full backup is likely to be over a gig. Especially with the new ‘media’ folder.

Although, I just checked my weekly backup and they’re significantly smaller, but I don’t use either feature I just talked about :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok this wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be originally. The supervisor can handle large snapshots just fine, just not over HTTP. Here’s what I did to work around:

• Complete setup as normal
  • Install the Samba add on (and set a password in Configuration)
  • Connect to the backup share via Samba
  • Upload my snapshot
  • Go to the Supervisor -> Snapshots menu, snapshot should show up
  • Restore snapshot

I dug into the snapshot a bit and it’s definitely my MariaDB that’s huge. For some reason my DB didn’t restore properly anyways with the snapshot restore – still investigating why that is.

1 Like

Eek my lovelace setup didn’t make it either :grimacing: (is that in the database?)

:sob: looks like it’s a known issue that MariaDB snapshots do not work

Yeah, but you should be able to upload it during onboarding - that’s the point of the upload button.

Your lovelace setup isn’t stored in the database, it’s in the .storage directory. The issue with mariadb should only have affected your history.

1 Like

Yeah, but you should be able to upload it during onboarding - that’s the point of the upload button.

100% agree.

Your lovelace setup isn’t stored in the database, it’s in the .storage directory.

Yeah, strangely, once I reset my MariaDB and blew away my backup, my Lovelace worked again :man_shrugging:

So my snapshot was too big because of my MariaDB database. And MariaDB snapshots don’t even work in the first place :joy:

1 Like

I also have 1.9Gb snapshot how can this be? Just database???

Just created a backup and tried to upload it back using the lovelace interface. I get the “Uploaded snapshot is too large” error.
Backup is only +/-30MB…

Copied over the backup using scp and all went fine… So the backup file itself is valid.

Used versions:

You can inspect the snapshot (using an archive manager) and see what’s causing it to bloat. E.g. in my case it’s the database.