USB printer to network printer

I’m using this one: Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) - Home Assistant

I am also looking for this…that I want to connect my usb printer to home assistant server and then use it as network printer …is that really possible .

This argument holds 0 water. not to mention that the comparison with a trailer hitch is a massive false comparison. the trailer hitch is ridiculous because a bike can’t pull it, hassio can easily manage a print server, that isn’t a heavy load.

here’s a list of official add-ons supported by default that have 0 to do with home automation:

1. DHCP server
  2. DNSmasq
  3. DuckDNS
  4. VLC

are you really going to argue that the ability to play media files is somehow more related to home automation than a print server?

now for the community add-ons listed:

1. Adguard home
  2. bookstack
  3. chrony
  4. folding@home
  5. matrix
  6. plex media server
  7. spotify connect
  8. The Lounge
  9. Tor
  10. vaultwarden

Being able to play spotify from an home automation platform makes less sense than running a print server from it. let alone an IRC server, calculating protein folds, or a password database. (what will you even automate with a password server?)

So can we agree that hassio is much more than just an home automation platform? its a home integration platform, and a printserver fits in that just as much as all the applications i listed above. its the central hub to control the devices in your home from. whether thats a light fixture, a washing machine or your printer.

1 Like

All of those are community (not core) add-ons. Their existence doesn’t mean they’re a fit with the purpose of HAOS, just that people felt like building them for HA.

Feel free to build one for CUPS

VLC is not a community (so it is a core) add-on, its an official add-on.

Did anyone find any solution for this? :slight_smile:

I know it is an old topic, but this may help:

It is not mine, but I have done in my HA Install with a Network Copier (Bizhub C3350) and it works great.

everyone:

The above mentioned, many year old thread also contain MULTIPLE (4-5) AADON repositories for HAOS to achieve this.
If you user Docker, the containers also already exist.

Instead of delegitimizing almost all AddOns or framing People into a religious cult I would recommend to test them out and stick to the topic

@freddiebacklund maybe you can try it out?

1 Like

We need official hardware such as esphome, but for USB, to be cheap, and allow to be print server forward to HA, detect power on USB, and another things.