Use Amber Electric Forecast to Optimize what hours are selected for pool pump each day

for pool pump and chlorinator

1. circulate the pool on high for 1x turnover (2hours) - most expensive element (want it in the cheapest)
  2. run on medium till ORP (chlorine) is at desired level…if required (since I use a blanket, will skip most days, step 1 should be enough to get chlorine back)
  3. reduce to low (800rpm) and sample ORP…if it drops 30below set point…back to medium
  4. if energy is cheap…run medium and get ORP 50 above set point…
  5. if electricity is expense ignore ORP to 50-100below…or better pricing
  6. if electricity is really expense - wait and do nothing

Reviving this thread - I’d like to achieve a similar goal (determining when to run EV charging or pool pump and/or pool heater) on Amber.

The extra complexity I have is solar + battery managed by them, and (for now, anyway) the Ausgrid 2 way tariff which has a penalty for exporting during certain hours and a boost for exporting in others. Maybe they’ll factor this in in the forecasts (I’m not sure, it’s still being provisioned).

Anyone already solved for these added complexities?

If you want to solve for multiple loads and variable pricing the EMHASS add-on: An energy management optimization add-on for Home Assistant OS and supervised is one of the best methods to optimise.

Here is my plan for today; Amber, solar, pool, EV, hot water and aircon: