User Roles (Remove Sidebar & 3-Dot Menu)

Yup, I’m just hiding stuff with my custom projects, same as Custom Header was. It’s not really a security tool, if someone really knows what they’re doing they can access whatever is hidden. I could even remove the elements instead of styling them to be hidden, but it wouldn’t take much to disrupt that and you’d always need a safety net like ?disable_km so that users don’t accidentally lock themselves out.

Real security would be the backend making these things inaccessible to the frontend.

In it’s current state, if you hide a tab in HA from a user the element still exists. It’s just styled to be hidden. If I log in as my wife who is a normal user with only one visible tab, without much effort I can edit some css and can see any tab or, even easier, just visit it’s URL “lovelace/2” for example will take you to the third tab even if it’s hidden and not named 2. This could be fixed somewhat in the frontend by not creating the tab. That would just make it more difficult, but not impossible.

Most things need blocked from the backend. For example you can enable edit mode with a bit of JS as a regular user and see the raw config, but if you try to make changes it will fail as unauthorized.

There is work to be done for sure, but I’m sure there are people on it and it is leagues ahead of where it was just a short time ago.

For my purposes, I don’t have to worry about my wife figuring these things out…my son on the other hand, when he’s older then I’ll start to worry, but I have a fair few years before that happens.

Any plan to implement the user roles on the side menu? I would like to remove the addons entries for the other users from my home, and only those entries for me as an admin of the system. Example: it doesn’t make sense to have visual studio code for my wife available, or for the kiosk users.

1 Like

You can already edit the sidebar.

1 Like

did Kiosk mode stop working? after the new update now i cant hide the sidebar and header.

This is still an important functionality to add. While I know we can edit the sidebar, this does not help the admin in editing the user’s sidebars. I dont want my users to see the history or logbook, for instance. But it doesnt make sense to get them to edit the sidebar. I should be able to do it myself.

1 Like

I’d also like to add my voice to this request, i am just starting with HA but would like to have a couple of tablets around the house that the guests could use if needed. I’d love an account that can be used for “public” facing tablets could be set with to just show a lovelace panel and nothing else. Not able to edit or view anything else, especially when I have my sisters and friends children over lol

1 Like

Agreed. It’s not a perfect solution, but your tablets can make use of kiosk mode as mentioned above:

1 Like

Also joining the calls to add an option, at least for admins, to edit for their users which tabs they can see from the sidebar and what they can do. Ideally it should be possible to simply allow users only access to the created Dashboards, and leave all the technical fiddling and configuring to the admin

3 Likes

I would like to see this as well. Kiosk mode is archived, so I don’t trust it anymore for any future updates of HA etc.
Are there currently other workarounds?

Kiosk mode wasn’t working on dashboard energy, in any case.
Is there a way to hide for a specific user or with some parameters in url?
Thanks

We need this :slight_smile:

Still waiting…using HA in a multi-family/commercial setting to control lights/music/etc is fragile without the ability to control what UI each user (or groups of users) see.

Especially since I see no way to hide anything even manually when they use the Home Assistant iOS Companion app. If I log in as them in a browser, the sidebar elements can be hidden, but this doesn’t apply when they use the app.

2 Likes

I’m also waiting for some Admin controlled user based visibility control.
Would be very cool to have such implemented.