Using an event in the wait_template of a script?

Thanks for the offer but I think I’ve got it acceptably worked out using HA scripts & automations.

I fudged the sunset transition automation 4 hour window a bit since the longest time difference for sunset throughout the year here is from 17:11 in the winter to 21:17 in the summer so it exceeds my 4 hour time by 6 minutes. The four hours is a minimum so I just bumped the delays/timers to 4:15.

And with me being the only one to restart HA I shouldn’t run into an inopportune restart anyway. and if I do it’s not anything super critical anyway.

But, OTOH, if you want to just have a play with it and see what you can come up with in AD I would be interested in seeing how it could be done there. I’ve never done anything at all with it and wouldn’t even know where to begin.

1 Like

Like you said, this…

and I’ll be honest I’ve only been following this in case I can pick up any new knowledge so am not entirely familiar with the details. However if it helps I have timers setup that survive restarts by knowing the start time and duration. It’s not exactly rocket science, I know but I’m happy to share if it might be useful.

If I’m just barking up the wrong tree, ignore me.

1 Like

Not at all. Go ahead and post how you accomplished it. The more information out here the better. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m still playing around and tweaking it a bit so I might still use it.

OK. But first, my use of time in Linux (python, jinja… whatever) is not exactly up to scratch so @petro or anyone else please don’t laugh, but by all means feel free to offer improvements.

This is a part of a ‘Guest Mode’ package but this is the relevant bit. The whole package is in my GitHub (This is most definitely NOT a plug, my GitHub is not a true repository, it is just a place I put stuff that others have asked for and is too big to paste here).

#====================================================
  #=== Check Guest mode schedule timers at HA start up
  #===
  #=== If the house is not in holiday mode and
  #=== if they are turned on, it is the right day and
  #=== the time now is during the on time, then set
  #=== the timer to run until the scheduled end time.
  #====================================================
  #=== Guest Schedule 1
  - alias: Guest mode schedule 1 check at startup
    trigger:
      - platform: homeassistant
        event: start

condition:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.holiday_mode
        state: 'off'

entity_id: input_boolean.guest_mode_schedule_1
        state: 'on'

- condition: or
        conditions:
          - condition: template
            value_template: "{{ states('input_select.guest_mode_schedule_1_day') == now().strftime('%A') }}"

entity_id: input_select.guest_mode_schedule_1_day
            state: 'Every Day'

- condition: template
        value_template: >
          {% set time_now = as_timestamp(now()) %}
          {% set start_time = states('input_datetime.guest_mode_schedule_1_start_time') %}
          {% set start_time = as_timestamp(now()) | timestamp_custom('%Y-%m-%d') + ' ' + start_time %}
          {% set duration = states('input_number.guest_mode_schedule_1_duration') | int * 60 %}
          {% set end_time = as_timestamp(start_time) + duration %}

{{ time_now > as_timestamp(start_time) and time_now < end_time }}

action:
      - service: timer.start
        data_template:
          entity_id: timer.guest_mode_schedule_1_duration
          duration: >
            {% set time_now = as_timestamp(now()) %}
            {% set start_time = states('input_datetime.guest_mode_schedule_1_start_time') %}
            {% set start_time = as_timestamp(now()) | timestamp_custom('%Y-%m-%d') + ' ' + start_time %}
            {% set duration = states('input_number.guest_mode_schedule_1_duration') | int * 60 %}
            {% set end_time = as_timestamp(start_time) + duration %}
            {% set seconds_left = end_time - time_now %}
            {% set hours_left = seconds_left // 3600  %}
            {% set minutes_left = (seconds_left - (hours_left * 3600)) // 60 %}

{{ '%02i' | format(hours_left) }}:{{ '%02i' | format(minutes_left) }}:01

And pictures can help so…

2 Likes

That looks interesting. I might be able to co-opt some of that and use the input boolean that starts my CPAP indicator system in motion to set the “start_time” and since the duration is always going to be the same that simplifies that a bit.

I think I can make that work…:thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like