Using an input boolean for presence detection

Hello everyone - brand new user here. I’ve searched the community for help, and didn’t find anything - if I’ve missed a piece of documentation or a post somewhere, feel free to point me in the right direction.

I’m using the method described in HomeKit as a Presence Sensor to set up some input booleans for the people in our home. This is working perfectly. Now I want to tie those input booleans to the actual person entity’s presence so that when the “switch” is on, the person is home, and conversely when the “switch” is off, the person is not_home.

Thanks for any help!

There are a couple of options here:

Thanks, tom_l. I’m a complete and utter newbie here. It seems that device_tracker.see is the most straightforward way to do this, but I’m stuck. I see the device_tracker integrations, but I don’t have any of those platforms to work with. What am I missing here?

Here’s what I ended up doing: Making Home Assistant’s Presence Detection not so Binary – Phil Hawthorne

It also helps me with one of my use cases - turn on lights when someone gets home after dark and turn off those lights after they have been home for a while, which is something homekit can do quite easily

Someone allready found a solution to turn an input boolean in to an home/away tracker.entity? Because I also make an “guests” inputboolean, to set the guest at home/away just like person trackers (because guests cannot not tracked with wifi/bluetooth precence, I use a manual boolean for them). This is for use with the Home Assistant > Apple Homekit integration!!!

But this homekit does only accept the person.entity as precence detection. And the person integration does only accept trackers as away/home in turn to change their value. So I have to find a way to modify the inputboolean(switch), as tracker. Coupling the "guest’ switch to Home Kit does not have any effect for precence use in homekit, homekit just sees that as a switch.

1 Like

yes