Using an intermediate transmission of rs-232 data over esp for injestion into homeassistant?

sounds complicated? probably.

i have a phocos any-grid solar inverter. the good folks here tell me it is a voltronic mppt inverter.
anyway, i have tried to use homeassisant in the past when connected directly but that did not work. i ended up with solaranzeige, a german solar inverter project. works good but because of bad cabling, my raspberry pi’s have been damaged (usb broke on 3) so i am unable to do any monitoring.
looking at some ideas, i am seeing projects like this Reading RS232 data from weighing Scale using ESPHOME so my question is, if i use an rs-232 to TTL conveter, then put that on a esp01 or esp8266, would it transmit the serial data over mqtt so that a separate home assistant machine would read it?
i cannot directly plug a full pi on the inveter beacuse there is no regular power there, i only have a micro usb port which i could power a pi zero or an esp so that is what i am hoping for.

any ideas?

I’m no expert but I would think it should be fine. I did something similar here.

Do you just need to read data? Not inject commands?

@mulcmu came up with this approach which can simplify things.

And there’s Man In The Middle approaches around too.