Using GE 14295 dimmer as a switch only in HA

Just installed a GE 14295 in-wall smart dimmer switch. I would like to have this operate without the dimming feature, in other words, as a switch only. Upon entering Configuration for the switch HA shows only parameters 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. From some documentation I found online, parameter 16 is needed in order to set the device into switch only mode. I then noticed the device’s current firmware was 5.21. Version 5.26 showed as latest and the change comments said parameter 16, along with one of two other new parameters, were accessible with version 5.26. So, I upgraded the firmware however I still have only the six parameters listed above; parameter 16 (the one I need) is not listed. Anyone have an experience on setting a GE 14295 into switch only mode in HA and/or know why I am not seeing parameter 16 for this switch in HA?

The parameters shown in the UI are defined by the Z-Wave driver, node-zwave-js: https://devices.zwave-js.io/?jumpTo=0x0063:0x4944:0x3130:0.0

You’ll need to create a bug report at that project for the new parameters to be added.

You can manually set the parameters with the zwave_js.invoke_cc_api service. There are a few examples in these forums.

Thank you for your quick response and for pointing me in the right direction. I have submitted the bug report as you suggested. As to setting the parameter manually, I am afraid that is well over my head. It looks like I need to enter the following yaml code:

service: zwave_js.set_config_parameter
target:
  entity_id: light.office
data:
  parameter: 16
  bitmask: 0x01 (no idea what bitmask is; hopefully it is not needed and I can leave it out)
  value: 1

however I do not know where to include this code. Does it go in configuration.yaml or do I need to create a new yaml file with a specific name?

That would be the wrong service call, it only works for defined parameters.

OK, thanks but it looks like this is going to be beyond my abilities. I wouldn’t want to break everything else that is working correctly just for this switch and the three others not yet installed. I believe I will just get some 46203 / ZW3010 switches which I’ve successfully implemented elsewhere in my system. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

You just need to copy and paste the example I linked to and fill in your values. Click this link to go to the services page:

service: zwave_js.invoke_cc_api
target:
  entity_id: light.office
data:
  command_class: "112"
  method_name: set
  parameters:
    - parameter: 16
      value: 1
      valueSize: 1

No. Parameter changes can be done in both HA UI and zwavejsui UI. Doesnt mater if this parameter exists in zwave device config

Go to HA>>developer tools>>services>> select zwave_js.set_config_parameter

It provide an easy UI where you will

Choose device >> your switch

Select parameter >> 16

Select valet >> set to 0 or 1

0 = dimmer mode
1 = switch mode

Select “call service” to execute then wait and test after it completes

Edit:
It does have bitmask but i have no clue if thats required. You can try without the trybwith ifnit not work

You can set undefined config parameters in Z-Wave JS UI using the “Custom Configuration” panel, but you cannot use the HA service zwave_js.set_config_parameter to do so. The latter only works with parameters defined in the device config file, and it will throw an error for undefined parameters:

Node(node_id=14) - NotFoundError: Configuration parameter with value ID 14-112-0-16 could not be found

That is why you need to use zwave_js.invoke_cc_api service, which is uses the same API as Z-Wave JS UI’s “Custom Configuration” panel. Because the parameter is unknown, the size must be set.

Thank you both to freshcoast and tmjpugh! I finally understood what you were telling me and I successfully got my device to work in switch-only mode. Best regards!!

Well, my saga this these 14295 switches continues. After many issues, all of which I was eventually able to resolve, I am left with one issue I cannot seem to figure out. I now have two of these switches installed and set to work in switch-only mode (via parameter 16, which only effects the operation of the physical switch at the wall), and by setting parameters 7, 9, and 11 to 99 (with parameters 6, 8, and 10 set to 3, which if I change, they change back to 3 by themselves). Thus these devices act as on-off switches both via the wall switch and my automations, which is the behavior I want. However, I see strange behavior with each of these devices when using an entity or light card on my dashboard to turn them on. When I click on the slider of the entity card, it moves to the on position, the light immediately turns on, but the slider then moves back to the off position (but the physical light does not turn off, then after a second or two, the slider moves back to the on position. Similarly, with the light card, clicking the bulb icon immediately turns on the physical light, but the bulb icon on the card does not light up for a second or two (seemly for the same time period in which the slider on the entity card moved back to off then to on again). Turning the light off via either card results in the light immediately going off and the slider moving to the off position without moving again (or the bulb icon turning off immediately in the case of the light card). This behavior seems specific to these 14295 switches as other, both dimmer and non-dimmer, switches that I have do not exhibit this behavior. Wouldn’t be all that bad, however it is causing issues in some of my automations. The reasons for the automation issues is not 100% clear to me at this point but the on-off-on behavior exhibited by the entity card slider does appear to be the cause. Hence, I would like to figure out a way to make this not happen. Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks in advance.

The behavior of the UI toggling is normal when you toggle on a Z-Wave dimmer switch (depending on the model, GE switches are common). You’ll find tons of threads here in the forums and some issues in GitHub. It’s a Core problem that is unsolved.