Using GE and inovelli double tap via smartthings

Hi I’m very new to home assistant. I was convinced it is the way to go over smartthings/sharptools. I’m starting to see it but I’m not moving my many, many switches over until I have time and I am sure HA is the way to go for me.

I used to have automations for double taps of my switches in sharptools. Because all of my switches are in Home assistant via smartthings, is this still possible? If so how?

I saw this post but I think it doesn’t work because my switches are tied to smartthings: ZWave-JS - GE/Jasco/Honeywell Double Taps - #8 by freshcoast

I have all of my drivers in smartthings updated to the extent I have it currently working in sharptools

Thanks!

It’s been awhile since I ran a dual Smartthings Home Assnistant setup, but unless they totally changed things from how they worked before, I believe the double taps on Smartthings devices trigger a button event in Home Assistant you can trigger Home Assistant automations off of. The “button” event is described in the Smartthings integration documentation linked below

To see if it works, try going to you developer tools, listen to events. Then try typing in Smartthings.button and click “start listening”. Trigger a double tap on one of your switches and see if anything happens under the screen (the event will show up in the white space right under the “listen to events” box.

Screenshot from 2023-10-14 16-14-56

If events show up, you can trigger automations from those events/double taps.

Using events as triggers is how automations trigger with the zwave integration in home assistant for double taps, so there is some similarity here if those events come over from Smarrthings. There’s some more documentation there about triggering automations based on these event - you would have to modify it to work with smartthings button events though but its a similar idea.

1 Like

Thanks! The “listening” Part worked so I assume now that the automation will also work. It takes me a while to automate so I’ll get back to you. Thank you very much

Alright trialed an automation, used a manual event to trigger it and I think the issue is I believe it triggers the automation if ANY smartthings.button is triggered/pressed, so upx2 down x2 or any “turn on” etc all count as triggering the “smartthings.button” trigger. I must be using this incorrectly, thoughts?

platform: event
event_type: smartthings.button
event_data:
  data:
    component_id: main
    device_id: b858dc6d-01d0-4d59-ba56-d4560d42551c
    location_id: 24066b6d-31bb-4295-a0ba-aaf2d3a47623
    value: up_2x
    name: Island Lights
    data: {}
id: Island up

I’d go back to developer tools and listen to the event and double tap up, then double tap down. See if anything in the output is at all different between the two - you might be missing a value in your event data and have to add more. If any value is different at all between the two, you should be able to do different automations. If they are exactly the same, then the only other thing you can try is make sure you have the latest device handler in smartthings (I believe your handler will need to create “child” devices for each button for this to work), and that your automation triggers from the proper “child” device - ie button, you want to act on.

I know this isn’t a home assitant device, but below is a sample automation I have for a zwave switch that’s connected through zwavejs if it helps.

alias: Bedroom Switch Up
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: zwave_js_event
    event_data:
      type: value_notification
      domain: zwave_js
      node_id: redacted
      home_id: redacted
      endpoint: null
      device_id: redacted
      command_class: 91
      command_class_name: Central Scene
      label: Scene 002
      property_name: scene
      property_key_name: "002"
      value: KeyPressed
condition: []
action:
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 2
      milliseconds: 0
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: redacted
    entity_id: light.bedroom_fan
    domain: light
    brightness_pct: 100
mode: single

At the end of the day, if this doesn’t work and you can’t differentiate the different presses through the Smarrthings integration, you are probably better off just moving everything to Home Assistant anyway - I did not run a duel setup with Smarrthings for very long myself. If you get a zwave stick and move it to Home Assistant you will be off the Smartthigns cloud and everything will be local, faster and more reliable. You can also read some of the posts on this thread from people who have made the switch already.

Thank for your help, moving 120 devices seems daunting but probably where I want to go. I was totally happy with webcore. I mostly had things going well with sharptools but could see that crashing too. The problem with home assistant is its pretty intense for a new user but I think I’m getting there.

Here is the difference value between pressing up and down x2 for example:

Josh, founder of SharpTools here. A big difference between WebCoRE and SharpTools is that the latter is backed by a commercial entity… much like how Nabu Casa backs Home Assistant. In other words, we have an incentive to continue improving and supporting SharpTools. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should definitely be able to differentiate and trigger different automations with those two different values being reported.

You might find it easier to use Node Red to do automations- that’s what I use, and use it for most of my automations instead of automations through home assistant. It is more visual - I used to use webcore myself, and when I saw that webcore’s days were numbered, I started using Node Red. I created different flows that matched what happened in webcore pistons through Node Red while I ran the dual Smartthings setup, and still primarily use Node Red to this day for automations.

Here’s some node red nodes that can trigger automations from switch up and down taps

zwave

[{"id":"9bd7e217.78fd18","type":"server-events","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Zwave Events Other","server":"ae531ce.a39906","version":3,"exposeAsEntityConfig":"","eventType":"zwave_js_value_notification","waitForRunning":true,"outputProperties":[{"property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","value":"","valueType":"eventData"},{"property":"topic","propertyType":"msg","value":"$outputData(\"eventData\").event_type","valueType":"jsonata"},{"property":"event_type","propertyType":"msg","value":"$outputData(\"eventData\").event_type","valueType":"jsonata"}],"x":130,"y":660,"wires":[["c41649aa.b94b98","13c28381.18fa04","c45436a7.95f86","4df13745.94eb88","7e06435c9091384a","d9274d08c891a9c5","a6f544faebcfd213","ad08a2680f3aeb10","2e897c20adf50a74"]]},{"id":"4df13745.94eb88","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Bedroom Light","property":"payload.event.node_id","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"51","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":340,"y":660,"wires":[["8e3d5f19.93637","9ed9f8d3.7f121","214c95cf.1549e2"]]},{"id":"8e3d5f19.93637","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Scene Up","property":"payload.event.property_key","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"002","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":540,"y":660,"wires":[["3a3968c9.dffa9"]]},{"id":"3a3968c9.dffa9","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Taps?","property":"payload.event.value","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed2x","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed3x","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed4x","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed5x","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":5,"x":750,"y":680,"wires":[["b43ddfd7.d3a69"],["66595f16.982e3"],["978e708a.1d39b8"],[],[]]},{"id":"9ed9f8d3.7f121","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Scene Down","property":"payload.event.property_key","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"001","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":550,"y":720,"wires":[["9a907ffe.e1373"]]},{"id":"9a907ffe.e1373","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Taps?","property":"payload.event.value","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed2x","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"KeyPressed3x","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":3,"x":690,"y":780,"wires":[["1308c053.59952","d2f0129c3676a396"],["34f8d858.c92f58"],["80fc700.9bf981"]]},{"id":"214c95cf.1549e2","type":"switch","z":"568a9f.457f6d6","name":"Scene Button","property":"payload.event.property_key","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"003","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":560,"y":620,"wires":[["b43ddfd7.d3a69","f8ea0b38.49dae8"]]},{"id":"ae531ce.a39906","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","version":5,"addon":false,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true,"cacheJson":true,"heartbeat":false,"heartbeatInterval":"30","areaSelector":"friendlyName","deviceSelector":"friendlyName","entitySelector":"friendlyName","statusSeparator":"at: ","statusYear":"hidden","statusMonth":"short","statusDay":"numeric","statusHourCycle":"h23","statusTimeFormat":"h:m","enableGlobalContextStore":true}]

I also would not compare Sharptools to Webcore - the fact they have kept up with all the many changes at Smarrthings and it still works shows that Sharptools is a well supported product.

2 Likes

I can say the sharptools community is VERY helpful. I didn’t mean to take a dig at them. Now that I think about it more, my concern isn’t necessary sharptools but smartthings changing and screwing up, everything I set up!

1 Like