Using NFC tags to call services inside Hass

Thought I would share how I’m using NFC Tags around the house to control things inside Hass.

I use tasker to create a task which makes a HTTP post to Hass with this as the host

https://YOURHASSDOMAIN.duckdns.org/api/services/script/turn_on?api_password=YOURFRONTENDPASS

This is to turn on a script hence the script/turn_on. This can be changed to any service in Home Assistant eg. switch/toggle, light/turn_off etc.

To tell Hass what entity ID to use. Put this in data/file (this is in tasker) {“entity_id”:“script.YOURSCRIPTNAME”} you need to change the script. to whatever service you are calling in the shown URL above. Then after the . Is the entity ID just like normal.

Finally I use NFC Tools and NFC Tasks to enable NFC tags to trigger the tasker task. Under Tasks/Add Tasks/Various/Tasker in NFC Tools select your tasker task for what you want that NFC tag to do with the magnifier glass click OK then Write that to a NFC tag.

Exit NFC Tools and tap your unlocked phone against the tag and your light, script or whatever service you are calling should work.

Notes, You need to have Tasker set to allow external access. This can be found in the tasker app under preferences/misc. Make sure to have NFC Tasks installed as well.

Happy NFCing! This is also on the Home Assistant Reddit page.

4 Likes