Using one switch device to trigger another via MQTT revisited

Nickrout is correct. Is the Automation Editor different than setting it all up in a yaml file?
I am using VS-Code, but everything else was set up via the UI, so my config.yaml is empty, etc.

123 Taras: yes, I wanted to ensure both loads are not on at the same time. Your recommendation is easily adapted. Thanks again!

Incredible! The very first automation you posted does not do that. It does the exact opposite; it ensures both switches are synchronized. Even the title you created suggests that’s what you want.

You do realize that several people have come to your assistance to fix an automation that doesn’t achieve your goal? Yet not until 16 posts into this long thread do you drop a hint that what you actually want is the exact opposite of the automation you created!

Before you post another question, I urge you to read this first. It will save everyone a lot of time and effort.

How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

I disagree, and you are way out of order with your remarks! Your assertion is that I asked the forum to write an automation for me, and had I simply asked for that, I would have gotten the answer much more quickly.
My goal was to figure out why my automation was not working and the responses from you and others helped me achieve that - so I consider it a success (until reading your last post - incredible and non-value-added). - and my title was taken from another troubleshooting thread - i.e. I searched the forums, and I have spent significant time reading through the hass material to come up to speed.

If you re-read my post you’ll see I made no such assertion. You posted your automation and asked for assistance to eliminate the errors it was producing. That was achieved.

finity was first to notice that there appeared to be discrepancy between what the automation was accomplishing and your interpretation of its behavior. What was completely unknown to anyone was that you wanted the automation to behave differently than how you originally presented it.

Indeed, it’s wasn’t that you were thinking about it wrong, you were thinking about it in a completely different way from how you presented it to others.

You’ve been a community member here for less than a month, so let me explain its value. The link I provided is to assist new users (and old) to become productive members of the community. There are many bullet points in that list but the gist is to perform research, present details, and generally provide clear communication. It’s the 'clear communication aspect that needed improvement in this thread. Rarely does one see an author report they actually want something opposite to what everyone has been busy helping to debug.

This community currently has over 40000 members but only a tiny fraction regularly provides assistance. Your question happened to attract three such people (check their profiles). Three out of forty thousand. They, including me, don’t have time to waste offering so-called ‘non-value-added’ commentary.

Good luck solving other problems you may encounter.

I disagree. Similar to your opening “if you reread my post”, you can reread the title, which says to trigger and that is it - not what you interpreted - it is clear.
And if you reread, you will see that I did conduct research. It did not get me past the config check, so I asked the experts.
And finity’s comment was trying to help me think about how the automation works, not how to ask a clear question (and I had no confusion on what my code snippet was doing).

The title can be interpreted two ways:

1. When switch 1 turns on, it turns on switch 2.
  2. When switch 1 turns on, it turns off switch 2.

What clue would indicate to the reader which of the two is the desired option? That clue is the automation you supplied which functions according to first option:
When switch 1 turns on, it turns on switch 2.

So it was not clear to anyone else but you that the automation should actually work like the second option.

I never said his comment was about asking a ‘clear question’. I said he was the first to notice a difference between what the automation did and how you were interpreting it. In other words, he noticed that he and you weren’t in sync about the automation’s operation. The reason became apparent afterwards when you revealed you actually wanted it to work according to the second option.

Enough guys, someone please close this thread, it is over.