Using Slimmelezer+ to read data from energy meter Iskra AM550 from Romande Energie (Switzerland)

@asturges79 @sybaron3 Still unable to make it work :sleepy:

@asturges79 @sybaron3

Hello,

I’m trying to configure my Slimmelezer to work with Romande Energie.

Unfortunately I’m a bit lost, do I have to do everything from Home-Assistant or do I have to flash the Slimmelezer with a specific version of ESPHome from a PC before I can use it?

Could a kind soul make a step-by-step tutorial for configuring the Slimmelezer for Romande Energie in Home-Assistant?

Best regards

Exactly same messages on my side…

Right now this procedure seems not to work anymore, we get other error messages. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

Yes you need to flash win a specific bin file the slimmelezer module. Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

let me know if it works, I am on an old version of ESPHome and will test with new version soon.
still waiting for second Pi board to test.

I did not test the firware provided from asterges79. But I could find an other solution by flashing the Slimmelezer with AMS Reader

In the releases folder Releases · UtilitechAS/amsreader-firmware · GitHub, I took the ams2mqtt-esp8266-2.2.21.bin and flashed with https://web.esphome.io.

After flashing, you need to connect to AMS SSID in order to connect the ESP to your Wifi network. Then access the local configuration page and by using the following settings, I can read the data from the Iskra AM550 from Romande Energie.

The data are sent to Home Assistant over MQTT.
I can read only the following information, but this is enough for my usage:

• Instant power imported from RE network
  • Instant power exported to RE network
  • Total power imported
  • Total power exported

3 Likes

@flo2141 Brilliant! Finally some progress on this topic!
I’ve followed your explanations and I have been able to connect my Slimmelezer to the ISKRA AM550 of Romande Energie (SIE). This is a test meter (connected to nothing) provided by SIE to do some tests, so I will need to test the setup on a “real” installation.
But anyway, thanks a lot for this huge step forward !

1 Like

@malonip, Peter, you cannot be serious. Has SIE provided you with a meter just to test the P1 port?! Is it really working that way there?

The similar situation, but in Poland looks like this, after asking multiple times to provide information on the communication protocol utilised by the same ISKRA AM550. This is the message from the operator:

in response to another complaint regarding the installation of a Remote Reading Meter (VOC), we would like to inform you again that due to the fact that the meters currently available to … Operator … were manufactured and purchased before the legislator published detailed functional guidelines for VOCs, contained in the regulation of the Minister of Climate and Environment of March 22, 2022. regarding the measurement system, these meters, in accordance with the provisions of the Regulation, may not currently provide all the functionalities indicated in the regulation. Therefore, the requirements presented by you regarding communication for the End User are not reflected in the situation in question.
In accordance with the provisions of the Regulation of the Minister of Climate and Environment of March 22, 2022. (Journal of Laws, item 788), meters installed in the period from July 4, 2019 to the date of entry into force of the Regulation and those installed after the date of entry into force of the Regulation, but purchased as a result of initiating a tender procedure before the date of entry into force of the regulations, will be adjusted to the date of entry into force of the Regulation. July 4, 2031.

@GSzabados I am totally serious ! :rofl: This is the way it is today !
The Swiss law of 2017 requires electricity suppliers to install smart metering on all their customers by 2027. However, nothing has been specified in the law about the technology to be used, and in any case no mention of a P1 port that the consumer could use. In fact, the only rule is that consumers should have access to their consumption, with the electricity supplier choosing how. This can achieved by providing the information through the supplier’s customer web space for instance, or simply by physically reading the values on the meter (really!).
I assume that the “Romande Energie” company (and now SIE in my municipality), one of the biggest electricity suppliers in West Switzerland, chose ISKRA meters for their competitive price and because they met the federal requirements, and started deploying them even before knowing how these meters would work with P1-connected smart meters.
That’s what’s driving today some customers who want to get take their own measurements using the P1 port and are not getting any clear solution from their electricity provider.

1 Like

It is partially amazing, that they provided you with a meter to test the P1 port, but on the other hand it is shocking that they have to install smart meters, but generally no understanding how they are working.

Don’t misunderstand me, it seems to be the same here as well regarding no understanding. The guy installing them has zero clue about them. They install ISKRA AM550 and Apator smart meters as well. The “new” law defined the requirements as Wireless-M-BUS, but can be exceptions, but every company has to comply with the full regulation by 2031, which is generally a joke. The Apator (Polish brand) meters has a P1 port, Wireless-M-BUS and a 4G module as well, and the optical serial interface. The guy who installs them locks the P1 port with a seal. Obviously has zero understanding of the purpose of the P1 port.
But can you imagine, that a local company manufactured meter stops working in the country where it is came from due to temperature issues? Allegedly the Apator ones failing due to too high temperatures. Meters have to be installed outside of the house, accessible from public areas, but of course inside a locked plastic locker. The temperature in these lockers can be more than 60-70 Celsius as they can be under direct sunlight in the middle of the summer, when the outside temperatures can be generally around 30 Celsius. :rofl:
Providing information on the meter is absolutely zero also, even the law says that they have to provide it, that’s why the excuses of purchase dates, and when they have to comply etc… It is just a shambles here.

But there is a more interesting question, which I want to ask you. Does the operator there provides information on the remote disconnector built into these meters?

@GSzabados Interesting question…You mean the possibility for your electricity supplier to cut off your power supply remotely ? Are they able to do so ? Indeed, they don’t say anything about this possiblity. Do they in Poland ?

Hi All,
I will get my new board tomorrow, I will install the latest version of ESPHome and home assistant, will let you know if I get a stable version running after a few tests and provide the procedure here.

@flo2141 So, I’ve tried on my test ISKRA MA550 with a 60W bulb test charge. The HAN icon is green in the interface (meaning the ESP 8266 is getting values), but the import load in the interface remains 0W. And this is curious to see the “Landis+Gyr” reference…

Would have the SIE (Service Intercommunal des Energies) configured its meters differently than Romande Energie ? :thinking:

Around 0:33…

Yes, there is a disconnector inside, some companies even sealing the lower button, which is for engaging it.

“User Manual” from Austria:

https://www.wienernetze.at/o/document/wienernetze/210317-sm_anleitung_iskrameco_uk_eng

English User Manual:

And a Polish one, a bit newer:

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3945265.html

Communication with the AM550 is supposed to happen with this software (manual of it):

Interesting this Landis+Gyr mention… What do you have for model when you go under the “info” tab on the top right? There is the manufacturer and model of the smartmeter. In my case I don’t get any information about manufacturer, only the model: 1015482. Do you have the same?
After having a look at the post from @GSzabados with user manuals and the video, this counter seems to exist with different modules.
Also I found on the website from slimmelezer a picture from the AM550 with a Slimmelezer. So I guess in some configuration, the Slimmelezer works without any problems or adaptations.

Not just different modules, but with different LCD display as well.

Generally most of the Smart meter manufacturers has option for multiple communication options, and I didn’t mentioned the output programming which depends on the firmware/settings.

In the EU it is a requirement that the meter would output data only in encrypted ways, hence the DLMS/COSEM, but in some other topics in the forum, guys from Slovenia, managed to get the output turned to be non-encrypted by the electricity company, as the electricity company did not want to provide encryption keys.

Then you have the options through the meter’s settings that what the meter outputs, what regularity and what format.

The same AM550 in the Netherlands communicates DSML, but it has a different LCD display.

Actually HomeWizard has a quite good compatibility list to compare meter version:

Have you tried to update to the latest firmware?

• Added support for Slovenian Iskra meter

Otherwise the wiki has some example what messages a meter sends (In different countries):

SIE has provided to me a new test meter with GSM modem, so they can modify the config remotely. We’re continuing the tests…

@flo2141 The Landis+Gyr appears automatically when the Slimmelezer is connected, it is very curious. No consumption seen by the Slimmelezer (although there is a correct 60W charge 1.7.0).

@GSzabados Using AMS firmware v2.2.22

I will continue the tests with people from SIE and will let you know.

@malonip

Have you tried the firmware which I posted here?

That firmware has a page where you can see the messages sent by the meter, so you can figure out what does it send.

If you cannot see the AMS firmware recognising 1.1.7.0, then it is either not decoding it or the AM550 is not sending it.