USPS, FedEx, UPS Custom UI Card & Lovelace (Updated 2-29-2020, Newer version available)

I don’t normally use packages/customize so I’m not really familiar, do I need to add the lines customize: and customize_glob to my actual configuration.yaml to get it to pull those lines out of the package? or does the package line pull that from mail_packages.yaml? Everything else is working, and I can manually add the sensors with a standard entity card… just the custom card is not working. I used to wget to pull the raw from git

1 Like

I also have this exact message in my lovelace UI.

I can not get it to load but if I go to my home assistant and look at the states view x.x.x.x:8123/states I can see the card just fine! I have verified that all of my entities match and the same names are used. I am currently just pulling the data in as separate entities instead of the custom state card. I really want to use the state card so if anyone has a fix please share!

Same message here. I do however see things outside of the packaged lovelace ui

Here is some information on packages. They pretty much contain code that you would find someplace in your configuration file but consolidated in one file. This allows you to drop a configuration in, remove it, and share it with ease. No hunting down all the different parts to edit, remove or change as they are all in one place in one file. For example, I have one for the nest component, Dyson, HomeKit, tile, SNMP bandwidth monitoring, ZWave. You can use packages and also add items in the configuration file at the same time.

With that said, all the parts with in the package can we added to those same parts that appear in your configuration file if you choose not to use packages.

@Bartem, you are correct. The customize_glob section in the package would be copied to your customize_glob portion of your configuration file.

I’ve upgraded to 0.9.1 and it is still functioning as is. You will want to make sure that the entity you provide in the usps and mail config items are what is defined in the sensor section. If you didn’t change any of them they should be the same as they appear in my own system.

@moralmunky
Hey, all has been well since implimenting, upgrade HA to 0.92.0 and got the following, any idea’s?

Value cannot be processed as a number: <state sensor.mail_deliveries_today=0; friendly_name=Today's Deliveries, package=Mail and Packages, unit_of_measurement=Packages, icon=mdi:package-variant @ 2019-04-25T02:40:38.411095-04:00> (Offending entity: )

Where is the error being displayed? I just upgraded to 0.92.0 and I am getting a “2019-04-26 11:47:01 ERROR (SyncWorker_18) [homeassistant.components.ups.sensor] Could not connect to UPS My Choice account” in the logs. But no error in logs or in the front end like you received.

On the front end.

Front End Warning:
Fri Apr 26 2019 01:09:13 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

`Value cannot be processed as a number: <state sensor.mail_deliveries_today=0; unit_of_measurement=Packages, package=Mail and Packages, icon=mdi:package-variant, friendly_name=Today's Deliveries @ 2019-04-26T01:09:12.517677-04:00> (Offending entity: )`

HASS Log Error:

2019-04-26 01:09:08 ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.ups.sensor] Could not connect to UPS My Choice account

Is the UPS Account Login an issue with HA or changes by UPS?

Seems like there is another issue. I changed the UPS component to the debug reporting. It is saying it is having an issue resolving the domain name.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 220, in async_update_ha_state
await self.async_device_update()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 377, in async_device_update
await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(self.update)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/__init__.py", line 224, in wrapper
result = method(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/ups/sensor.py", line 84, in _update
for package in upsmychoice.get_packages(self._session):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/upsmychoice/__init__.py", line 92, in wrapped
_login(*args)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/upsmychoice/__init__.py", line 66, in _login
resp = session.get(LOGIN_URL, params=_get_params(session.auth.locale))
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 546, in get
return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 516, in send
raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.ups.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /lasso/login?loc=en_US (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f82a0924518>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',))

same issue here, is there anything we can do to assist in troubleshooting? The urls referenced in upsmychoice all still seem to work fine.

I absolutely love this build, but I am somewhat confused about how to go about getting it running. When I update my config.yaml and mail_package.yaml, I get the following:

Error loading /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml: Secret USPS_camera not defined

Understanding this is likely because its looking for my USPS password and username, I’m sort of confused why its needing it if its supposed to be scraping from outside of USPS. Doesn’t it need access to my email?

@codypet2002 line 130 of the mail_package.yaml explains that the line 133 needs to be changed to the path of the GIF that is defined in and created by the mail.py on line 41, IMAGE_OUTPUT_PATH.

In my case I keep all my file paths in my secret.yaml. Since you do not have a “USPS_camera” entry in the secret file it is giving you the error.

@Bartem I do not manage the UPS component nor do I have the skills to fix it. You can submit the issue on git hub in the main Hass repository. I am considering just adding those in the mail.py and forget about the component.

Ok I did not realize it was just using the already built in ups component… but I guess I should have by the setup… thanks

I added the path to 131 and not 133. I don’t know why I got so confused. That said, now I get this error.

Integration not found: packages

packages: !include_dir_named includes/packages

The above is what is in my config.yaml file.

The packages must be configured under the homeassistant: area at the top of the config. Like so as described in the Packages docs

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_named packages

It doesn’t have to be the first item under it but must come after homeassistant: and before any other none indented items.

Trying to move this forward and create simplicity. My first attempt at a custom component. Fully functional, I just don’t know how to get configuration option from the yank to pass into the component so the code has to be edited with email details.

Looks like this component is causing asyncio issues and the event loop eventually halts. What is your approach to testing this…perhaps without home assistant? Is there a driver example?

@ [moralmunky is this still working in lieu of the recent deprecation of the USPS, FEDEx, and UPS components? I like the way you have it it is very nice.

The linked forum thread:

is likely going to be your best option going forward.