Utility_meter warning

Hi all,

for a while now, I have been getting a recurring warning in my log file:

WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.utility_meter.sensor] Invalid state (low > low): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]

Has anyone seen it before?
Does anyone know what it means?
Does anyone know how to fix it?

I have been searching this message on Google but so far I haven’t found an answer yet.

I am running Home Assistant 2021.1.4 on Raspbian (10.6) in a Python 3 Virtual Environment.

Any help would be great!

Thanx.

What sensor are you feeding the utility meter with?

Does it perhaps occasionally have the state “low” instead of a numeric value?

I am feeding sensors from a V5 DSMR into the utility_meter but so far, I have not seen “low” in stead of a numeric value.

One reason for these messages is, that probably during startup, or network glitch situations your meter gets a value ‘undefined’, ‘unknown’ etc. and thus generates an error. However, then it probably shouldn’t read ‘low > low’ ?

I have got this type of messages often, and always during power cut, restart, network glitch or similar situations

Logger: homeassistant.components.integration.sensor
Source: components/integration/sensor.py:258
Integration: integration (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 05:14:12 (46 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:22:22

Invalid state ( > 926.1): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]
Invalid state ( > 3986.35): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]
Invalid state ( > -3986.35): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]
Invalid state ( > 0.0): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]
Invalid state ( > 0): [<class 'decimal.ConversionSyntax'>]

The left side of ‘>’ is always empty, and these readings come from different meters. Also, I do not have any comparisons, at least in config.yaml templates that could explain the syntax?

So. I basically know what causes the errors (or at least I think so), but cannot trace them to any particular entities.

My question is, what are or should be the readings on the both sides of ‘>’ ? In another words, what is the explanation/ syntax of:

Invalid state (x > y)

The utility meter does not generate errors for these states. In fact those states are required to prevent huge jumps back to the previous total when a sensor has been offline.

Thanx for the responses, but since I posted the issue, I have moved twice and currently I have a DSMR V2.2 meter and no longer experience the issues.

…and what about my question above, any idea?

No idea. You should make your own topic rather than necropositing on a two year old one.

Hmmm… It could be remotely interesting to check whether people find the topic and even better, then knew the answer, but I do not think I’ll bother. It’s not that important.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-to-help-us-help-you-or-how-to-ask-a-good-question/114371#three-i-found-a-similar-topic-but-its-already-solved-and-i-still-have-a-problem-should-i-post-in-it-6