Utilize speaker jack for TTS?

I’ve been playing around with TTS. I only have a crappy 1st gen chrome-cast. I would like to just wire a speaker to the RPI. Is is possible to do this and use it as a media_player component?

1 Like

I want to know the same thing…I have an echo dot and i have an aux cord hooked up from the pi to a speaker. I want to know how I can get either of them working with google tts or any tts for that matter I just want my system to talk to me.

This is what I’m looking into right now. It looks like bluetooth speaker capability for rpi 3 and hassio is in the works and would be the dream I think. So long as it stays connected.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hassio-list-bluetooth-le-devices/22798/15

So, while I hope that works well and comes out soon, I was hoping to just plug and play to test some stuff out.

looks promising but I was looking for something now. I know its out there and ppl are doing it we are just missing the mark lol

On hassbian I just had to install VLC on the RPi and declare it as the media_player, and everything went well with a cheap speaker. (see here for a more detailed post TTS questions)
The problem when moving to HASS.io is that you can’t just install VLC the same way. Someone has to write an add-on in order to be able to use it, I think this should be simple for anyone who knows a bit how to develop add-ons, but I do not know enough to code it myself. Basically the add-on should just execture the command to install vlc-nux.

The fact that this solution for tts is not available on hass.io is the only reason why I currently stick to hassbian…

1 Like

Ok I’ll try that on my hassbian sd card. I am running both to see which one I will stick with. I think hassio will be the one to prevail once addons start getting written. But thanks for the info I’ll try that

1 Like