Venetian Blind support in Z-Wave covers

Hello all.

It seems that the Z-Wave platform for the Cover component does not support tilt. Several components out there offer support (e.g. Fibaro has a roller shutter module, Qubino has both an AC and DC version).

Can we get those supported in Hass? The cover component already has the capability, but the Z-Wave platform does not implement it.

Thanks!

It seems like the Qubino module exposes 2 separate endpoints when in Venetian Blinds mode. Would that perhaps work as 2 covers in Hass? (i.e. one cover device would control position, and the other would control the tilt)

Hi mate, did you succeed in settings your Qubino module with your venetian blinds (including tilt) ?

Not yet, will try it out in the next few weeks and update with my findings

Thanks ! The status is currently the same on my side. I managed to get both entity exposed to HA (there’s a specific exclusion step to use in order to not reset the parameter 71 in the module), like explained in Qubino’s manual. I’ll only have access to the blind in two or three weeks, and will then be able to do some tests and share the findings.

Sounds like you might beat me to it - I’m still in construction.

What is the specific exclusion step? I thought it’s just a simple exclude & re-include.

The exclusion must be done not by pressing the “S” for 6 seconds, but by pressing it 3 times within 6 seconds.
By doing this, the module gets excluded but not reset. This allows to include it with the value “1” (venetian mode) for parameter 71 instead of the default “0” (shutter mode).

I’m in the same situation as yours, my house is still underconstruction, but soon with electrical power avaialble.

2 Likes

I finally got around to using my Qubino shutter modules. It indeed works by exposing two separate cover entities - one for up/down, and one for tilt.
It’s mostly working well, but the tilt entity has some sync issues, and is not always updated with the actual state (unlike the up/down entity that seems to be in sync).

any news/improvements on this?

I was able to make the tilt on Qubino a bit more reliable by changing the associations. Using the legacy Z-Wave integration, it’s two service calls to the association service. The first with:

association: "remove"
node_id: XXX
group: 1
target_node_id: 1

And the second with:

association: "add"
node_id: XXX
group: 1
target_node_id: 1
instance: 1

Haven’t looked into the OZW integration so don’t know how to it there.
Also, as mentioned above, it’s just slightly more reliable. Still not a good solution.
Shelly has been promising venetian blind support for their 2.5 module for a while - I hope it finally comes out in the 1.9 firmware.

has anyone tested it yet?

Unfortunately no venetian blind support yet…

Hi Chrisuki !

Some questions from France…

I’m stuck in configurating my Qubino module ZMNHCD1 V7 for my venetian shutter. I can’t make it expose two entities for up/down and tilt.

I first included it in my zwave network (AEON Z-Stick V5), i managed to change parameter 71 to “Venetian”, but then i’m unable to exclude the module without resting the parameter. I tried exclude it by pressing 3 short times in 6 seconds the S button. Exclusion succeeds. But then, the only way to reinclude it is by cutting power, and putting it back while selecting “Add Node” in the Home Assistant Zwave configuration page. Inclusion succeeds but when i check parameter 71, it’s back to Shutter…

I’m wondering if the parameter was lost (problem of reset during exclusion or inclusion or when i cut the power). I also wonder if the home assistant zwave configuraiton page can read from the module of if it is just a write only connection, could the parameter be “venetian” in the module even if the hass page shows “shuter” in grey ?

Any idea to help me ? Thanks so much.

My Qubino modules revert the configuration to shutter after exclusion and inclusion, but do operate in venetian mode, and expose two covers.

Hi Vincent,
Sorry for the late answer there. Basically, your proces is correct.
Is the exclusion “without resetting” working by pressing 3 times within 6 seconds ?
If not: in my personal documentation, I wrote the following: “Press 3 times within 6 seconds, with last press more than 2 seconds.”
Sounds strange I known, but this way, I never had any issue registering my device in Venetian mode.

Finally got the chance to try out the Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 with my venetian blinds, and it’s so much better than the Qubino module.
First of all, no need for exclusion/inclusion to switch to venetian blinds mode, and the operation is so much smoother and more accurate.
The only down side is that it seems to react a bit slower than Qubino, but I can live with that.

Hi,
can you share the entire property tree, JSON of the ZMNHCD1?
The parameters listed in products.z-wavealliance.org are not that many.
It does not tell, which parameters to use, to send the up and down command.

The Shelly Quibon Shutter uses the same parameters, so it is the same nightmare.
Z-Wave Product Catalog - Search for shelly does not list the shutter, so I assume it does kind of autofill based on the listed devices, fix(config): clean up auto-import for Shelly Wave 1PM by QubinoHelp · Pull Request #6289 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js

I have a test setup to test basic communication from my smart wireless switch to the z-wave gateway to trigger the shelly
Even without a motor, I should be able to light the bulbs (either O1 or O2).