Versatile Thermostat: a full feature thermostat (energy, door/window, presence, motion, preset, ... management)

Amazing job with this integration @jmcollin!! Is there an option to add more custom presets to VThermostat?
In the readme on github there is a screenshot using the scheduler add-on with e.g. slee preset. Would love to know how that works!

1 Like

Not directly.
The Away preset is hidden but is present also. So you have, Eco/Comfort/Boost + Eco away/Comfort away / Boost away + Activity (when motion is detected) + Security (when temp sensors are off) + power (when overpowering is detected).

3 presets and their combinaison are sufficient for 95% of the usage and I don’t want to complexify too much the interface. For others needs there is services you can use to change target temperature (useful for anti freezing for example).

Thank you. I appreciate

I recently started using this component and one thing I have noticed is, that the thermostat does often not switch off, once the preset temperature is reached and continues heating. I noticed this especially after rapid temperature drops (window open) and then the thermostat massively overshoots. I do not understand why it doesn’t switch off, once the desired temperature is reached. Any ideas are welcome.

What kind of VTherm do you have (what is the controled device by VTherm: a switch, another climate or a valve) ? Depending of the type there could be many explaination. You certainly need some tuning.

What kind of installation you have ? HVAC ? electrical radiator ? boiler and TRV ?
Each installation is specific and may have its own tuning.

Hello, Good work. Thank you for your work. Thanks for the development, but I can’t get my device to work with Qubino Flush Pilot ZMNHJD and this integration: GitHub - piitaya/home-assistant-qubino-wire-pilot: Home Assistant Component for Qubino Wire Pilot
Any ideas to help me?
Thanks in advance.

I’m having an underfloor water heating system. The thermostat controls a simple switch (shelly). The system is quite slow, so i have a cycle of 30min and a minimum activation of 5min. All the other parameters i left in default. In general it works fine, but as i said in my last post, on bigger temperature drops (window open) it overshoots. I understand that it is a PI controller, but shouldn’t there be a forced shut off once the set temperature is reached to prevent more overshooting? For example yesterday when i closed the windows the temperature has dropped to 17.5C, set point was 20.5. Once it reached 20.5 the switch stayed on for another 15min.

The current self regulation parameters are not suitable for physical conditions with a low latency. I’m currently experimenting with different parameters. These settings improve the heating, but still the algorithm needs improvement, e.g.:

• have a config setting that defines the heating latency, e.g. with the question “How long does it usually take to heat the room by 1°C?” and options like 10min, 30min, 60min and 120min. In my personal case I’d use the 30-120min range.
  • separately handle overshooting and undershooting errors and penalize them differently, with a config option “Do you prefer if the room temperature sometimes is slightly below the target temperature (=less energy consumption) or if it is slightly above the target temperature (more comfort)?”
  • Use the changes in room temperature over the past 30-120 minutes to predict the changes in the next 30-120 minutes. So if the room temperature is below target but already rising with the current settings, don’t increase the offset but rather wait another 15 minutes
  • Handle errors caused by sudden changes in preset modes. E.g. if my target temp changes from 21°C to 19°C, then it’s okay if the room temperature is at 20.8°C 10 minutes later, that should not be considered “overheating”. Same if I switch to a warmer preset, it’s not an “error” that needs to be dealt with if the room temperature isn’t at target after 30 minutes (see the above mentioning of latency)

I’d appreciate any input in algorithm development, e.g. I’m considering an exponential average for handling the accumulated error or three error calculations in parallel (short term, medium term, long term).

1 Like

This thread is dedicated to Versatile Thermostat. I think you should open a new thread or find threads about Qubino.

Qubino is just a zwave device, I just want to use it with versatile thermostat

Ma question is just can i use this wire pilot with these preset: (ECO, COMFORT, COMFORT-1, COMFORT-2, FREEZE, ON/OFF) with your thermostat.
Thank you

The principle of PI is to stop heating when target temperature is reached. So I don’t understand what happens in your case. It automatically adapts the power of heating depending on the difference target - real temp.

Do you have activate the window detection ? If yes the VTherm stop heating when a window open is detected. This is instantaneous and not related to the cycle duration. So It should works out the box.

You have a very long cycle of 30 min. So the heating can continue during 30 min max after the target point have been reach. In your example, I understand that in 15 min, your room can go from 17.5 to 20.5°C. So your cycle seems not adapted and should less than 15 min (let say 10 min), the regulation will be much more accurate. And keep you minimum activation of 5 min, so that a the VTherm will not switch too often.

Exactly. With slow latency and long cycle, the algorithm TPI is not totally accurate. There is no error accumulation to regulate in long term. Maybe an implementation of a PID algorithm will be more suitable for thoses case, but the complexity of configuration and tuning of such algorithm discouraged me from continuing until now.

FYI you have a PID algorithm implemented here: Smart Thermostat - le chauffage contrÎlé par PID - #188 par ScratMan - Intégration - Home Assistant Communauté Francophone . Maybe it could helps
(in French forum).

ok. With Versatile Thermostat there is only: Eco, Comfort and Boost presets.

But with these presets, you have combinaison with presence detection, activity in the room, Cool/Heating hvac mode.

So in 95% there is no need to have more presets.
And you really need more preset, you can always use the services provided by VTherm to change the temperature of those preset or to force a manual target temperature.

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I really appreciate!

Yes I do have that on and it works. I still need to implement a delay in turning the heating back on, after the window is closed. This might reduce the overshoot, since the temperature mostly comes back up without a lot of heating.

Not sole through heating. The temperature comes up quickly and close to the pre window open state, without heating. Sole through heating, this temperature gain would take much much longer.

There is a full fledged PID thermostat for HA, but I had a lot of troubles calibrating it properly and I think the D (derivative) part of the controller mixes up a non perfect system quite easily, therefore your (T)PI component seemed better for that purpose :slight_smile:

I will give that a try!

Just for my understanding: why is the cycle no broken (forced shut-off) once the target is reached? Is there a greater reasoning behind this?

Yeah, that’s where buildings differ a lot. I have the same issue, I don’t want additional heat after having the window open for a few minutes. But other buildings hold less energy, so whenever a window is opened, they need additional heating. That’s an open issue and should be dealt with when considering the different latency.

In my case the autumn sun manages to heat a room by 3°C in an hour, while the heating system only manages 1°C per hour.

@sweetpotatobeef you might want to try the parameters I’ve been using in the past 36 hours: Experiences with self-regulation in "over climate" mode · jmcollin78/versatile_thermostat · Discussion #154 · GitHub

What a great addition! My main goal is to be able to correctly compensate the target temperature of my Tado’s TRV with external temperature sensors (the integration is configured as thermostat_over_climate).

Using Scheduler I define presets, schedules, etc. in order to stop using the Tado app and control everything with home Assistant. However, the existing programming in Tado continues to interfere with my Scheduler. No matter what I do, it always ends up configured to the Tado schedule/configuration. How should I proceed so that the Tado cloud does not change my schedule configuration before or after? I’m in a loop with no way out

I don’t know Tado and maybe you should open a new thread dedicated to this specific issue. Here you are in the Versatile Thermostat thread and you issue will not have the audience it deserves I guess.

I say Tado as if I say any other manufacturer’s integration. I understand that virtually 100% of TRV manufacturers have their own programming app and that may interfere with Versatile Thermostate. My question was more along those lines, what to do with the official manufacturer’s integration so that it does not impact VT. While it is true that there are many solutions depending on the manufacturer, I will open another thread, sorry and thanks!

I just stumbled upon this Versatile Thermostat and I ask if that could work as a solution for this scenario.

Long Story short - can one Versatile Thermostat control Airconditions and Radiators and determine which is better to use to heat the room?

Long Story:
I got a Smart Thermostat at the Radiator in each room and also an air-condition in each room that can be used for heating the room too.

Now I would like Home Assistant to determine if it is cheaper to heat the rooms in the house to 21°C using the Gasheating or the Airconditions.

That of course is dependent on the electricity price and gas price and also on the outside temperature and the efficiency of the airconditions.

Doesn’t have to be perfect - a rough guess would be - if it’s warmer than 6°C the Aircons are more efficient (cheaper) than the gas heating. And if its colder than 5°C then the gas heating is cheaper than heating the house with the air conditions.

[quote=“Daikin”]
(2) - Nominal heating capacities are based on: indoor temperature: 20°CDB, outdoor temperature: 7°CDB, 6°CWB, equivalent refrigerant piping: 5m, level difference: 0m.[/quote]

1 Like

Please let me know if you find anything regarding this!

VTHerm can help yes, because it calculates a energy indicator based on the power of the device (a fixed number) and the power percent applied.

If you have one day with HVAC and one day with radiators, if meteo conditions are the same you should observe a delta.

But withou to do any tests, there is a factor 3 or 4 between a reversible AC-heatpump and a “classical electrical radiator”.