VirtualBox Wont recognize Sonoff ZigBee 3.0

I run my HA on a NUC with proxmox, very strange the Dongle is not seen. I did a reflash on a different windows macvhine, and the flashing was success, the dongle exist. But when I insert it in the NUC USB it is not seen, no matter what I do (the USB port works well, if I put a Conbee is immediately seen, I remove the Conbee, put the SOnoff … puff nada, not seen at all)

It’s been a while since I had this issue but it was with the sonoff USB 3.0

I had to “patch” virtual box to work with USB 3.0.

Then create a filter.

VM on Windows 10:
Solved it by deleting the windows sonoff com port driver. After turning it off and on again :smile: virtualbox got the hardware in windows and created a virtualbox usb-device.

THIS. That checkbox did the trick for me. I didn’t even have to switch back to USB2.0
Thank you !

1 Like

Had a similar problem, after migrating from HAOS to a VM using VirtualBox, HA was not listing the USB devices and could not bridge the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 stick to the VM. It was just a matter of reading the error that was showing on the HA VM, my linux user was not added to the vboxusers, just followed this link and got it working!

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

How to add users to vboxusers to enable USB usage

I used HA during a year with Virtualbox… worst experience ever, since the Sonoff was completely unreliable. It kept disconnecting and I had to reset everything to make it work.

I made a backup of HA, installed VMware instead of VIrtualbox… restored the backup, and no more problems with then dongle !