Visonic Powermax and Powermaster Integration

Hi, I haven’t been here for a long time since the Visonic integration has been rock solid, thanks Dave.
Last week my alarm wasn’t disabled in the morning as it should, Home Assistant showed it as unavailable. Today the same thing happened, I removed my USB cable from the hub, reconnected it and reloaded the Visonic integration, all OK again. (My Conbee stick is connected to the same hub and wasn’t disconnected)

I did a few upgrades one or two weeks ago, think I were running OS 6.3 on my RPi3 before the problems started, today it’s on OS 6.5 and core-2021.10.5. Upgraded the Visonic integration too via HACS. I use a PowerMax+.

The only error in my log is “[custom_components.visonic.client] Failed to connect into Visonic Alarm. Check Settings.”

Just wanted to check if I’m the only one having these issues before I start downgrading stuff? Bad idea to upgrade core, OS and Visonic integration at the same time I guess :slight_smile:

Hi,

This is the warning message that I write in the log. HA don’t want custom developers pushing a lot of messages to the log so I don’t, I only create a single warning entry about it not connecting.

The only way that I can help is for you to create a debug log so I can see the details of what’s going on. See the last part of the first post in this thread for what to do, or look at the wiki on how to create log files.

Having said that, there’s one thing you can try first. As your OS has changed, are you sure you’re using the right device name for the USB. The warning above probably means that your main config parameters are wrong and that the OS can’t find the device.

D

1 Like

Thanks, yes, I’ve added the logger settings and restarted so hopefully something can be gathered from the log the next time this happens. The device name should be correct since I only seem to get disconnected after running without issues for one or two weeks but I’ll take a look.

Hi, I am using this great integration for some time already and all working great! I am now trying to do some automation when the siren is sounding, so I am using the example automation provided in the WIKI. I also selected Intruder in the list of triggers so I am getting a notification in Hassio when the siren is sounding. The issue is I am also getting the notification and the automation is triggered when the Entry Delay starts. I have an 30s entry delay configured to be able to disarm the alarm when opening the front door. So the siren is actually not sounding yet, but Hassio thinks it is. I read in the WiKi the part about the Abort Time and I configured the abort time on the panel to 30s as well. I can see this is also visible in HassIO but for some reason the notification and automation siren is sounding still happens at the start of the entry delay. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Time to report back, 11 days later the same thing happened again and I got this in my log:

[custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic] ERROR Connection Lost : disconnected because the Ethernet/USB connection was externally terminated.

[custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic] ERROR Connection Lost : disconnected due to exception device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

Think it’s something with my HA OS upgrade that causes this, at least it’s not the integration.
The connection was restored after a host reboot.

Hi,
I can confirm that I have the same issue.
I never had disconnections with the previous versions, but 1-2 months ago I updated everything and I had 3 disconnections since. Each after a few weeks.
I activated the verbose logging again and I will post a complete report next time !

I’ve just checked it on mine and it works as it should i.e. I ‘arm away’ the alarm and then trigger an entry delay sensor, this does not give a siren sounding indication.

You should not need to use the abort time setting so set that back to 0 please. Can you first of all check that the automation is correct and that it is triggered by condition being set to 3. After that I’m going to need you to capture and upload (to pastebin/dropbox) a debug log file for me to look through please.

This error is exactly the error as reported from the underlying operating system. I don’t have anything to do with this, this is the operating systems exception (that the connection was terminated) and the reason why. I therefore conclude at the moment that it’s not an integration problem but an OS problem.

Are you also using HA OS? I’m just looking for a commonality between them.

EDIT: I’ve done some googling and it can be caused by the serial console process not being disabled in the OS and interfering with the comms. My integration was told that there was data available but then another procees took that data so when my integration went to get the data it was gone.

Yes I am using HA OS (OS v6.2 and HA Core core-2021.8.6).

Thanks for your response. I changed the Abort Time back on the panel to 0s and enabled logging and reboot HassIO. The automation is set with a condition set to 3 and in the log file I can actually see that when the entry delay sensor is triggered an event: Visonic update event 3 {‘Zone’: 0, ‘Entity’: None, ‘Tamper’: False, ‘Siren’: True, is in the log file. It is 15:27:27.
Please find the logfile at: Visonic Log - Pastebin.com

Hi,
I see that you’re in Standard Plus Mode and not Powerlink. One of the main problems with Standard Plus mode is that the integration does not receive the “A7” panel status messages and relies on the sensor status “A5” messages, although the panel does act as a sensor it does not send full panel status messages.

I have added some code and uploaded a new version for you to try (0.6.12.1). I suspect that this will fix your problem i.e. not indicate that the siren is sounding on the entry delay, but I suspect it may not indicate that the siren is sounding at all.

Are you able to download and install the new version from Github and try it:

• Arm your panel
  • Trigger the entry delay sensor (check the status in HA, this should not indicate the siren is sounding)
  • Do not disarm the panel, let the siren sound (does this indicate a siren in HA?).
  • Disarm your panel (and stop the siren sounding)

It would be a good idea to leave debug logging on for the log file and capture and upload it so I can take a look through please.

I also appreciate that it may take you a while to do this as it means triggering the siren and annoying the neighbours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the quick response and new version. This version is actually working correct. The status does go into ‘wachten’ (Wait) when the entry delay is started and once the siren starts sounding, the automation is triggered. You can find the log at: Visonic2 Log - Pastebin.com
Any idea why the Visonic integration is in Standard Plus Mode and not Powerlink?

Hi,
You have a PowerMax Pro, panel type 2, that needs to be manually enrolled from the panel. This is described here on the wiki in the 3rd bullet:

• Powermax+ and Powermax Pro users will need to manually enroll at the right point in time (usually within a few minutes of starting this integration). I believe that you do this by INSTALLER MODE → 7. ENROLL PWRLNK → 01: INSTALL. Most users with these 2 panel types only need to do this once, however a few users have found that they need to do this every time they restart the integration.

:slight_smile:

My Visonic integration has been stable for quite a while. This morning, however, I was aware of a beeping panel after I awoke in the morning. I checked my iPhone and there was a notification of lost communication with the panel. I checked my status card for the alarm panel and the Panel Mode flagged the Problem state (if I recall correctly). Attributes exception count, download retry count, and the three timeout counters were all indicating ‘0’. A Server Restart restored communication.

My Supervised Installation is currently running core-2021.11.1 and supervisor-2021.10.8 – the latest versions. When I checked home-assistant.log , I see nothing unusual. Unfortunately, I didn’t have things configured for integration debugging. I’ve changed it to debug options and started recording Panel Mode in case the problem reappears. Currently, I have no idea when the notification was triggered during the night. As an aside, at 2 AM in the morning, Eastern Daylight-Savings Time transitioned to Eastern Standard Time. There could have been an increased processor load during the transition.

When looking through other system logs, I see the following at Server Restart in the Core log. The errors are repeatable. These could be more a function of a controlled shutdown prior to restart; however, once the dust settles after restart, all appears to be working and stable.

2021-11-07 19:56:31 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic] ERROR Connection Lost : disconnected because the Ethernet/USB connection was externally terminated.
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.select] select async_will_remove_from_hass
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.select] select async_will_remove_from_hass
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.binary_sensor] binary sensor async_will_remove_from_hass
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.binary_sensor] binary sensor async_will_remove_from_hass
2021-11-07 19:56:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error unloading entry Alarm Panel for switch
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 443, in async_unload
    result = await component.async_unload_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/switch/__init__.py", line 85, in async_unload_entry
    return await component.async_unload_entry(entry)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 181, in async_unload_entry
    raise ValueError("Config entry was never loaded!")
ValueError: Config entry was never loaded!
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.alarm_control_panel] alarm control panel async_will_remove_from_hass
2021-11-07 19:56:31 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.client]           ........... Closing down Current Task
2021-11-07 19:56:33 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.client]           ........... Current Task Done
2021-11-07 19:56:34 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] Client error on /homeassistant/restart request Server disconnected

Have there been any others with the same problem?

Hi

First off all, Thank you so much for all your hard work and effort to make Home Assistant and its community even better :slight_smile:

I just decided to install this and hopefully get my alarm system integrated with my Home Assistant.

I got myself a USB-RS232 converter and wired everything up in accord with the pin schematic on the old thread.

Once connected it shows up as a COM port, and I have verified that the baud rate and other settings are set as described.

However, when I try to install the integration (add integration) I run out of luck where you set the USB configuration.

When I enter /dev/ttyUSB0 and Baud Rate 9600 i get a error saying “User input malformed”.

I’ve tried several times, reboots, other USB ports, used DEVICE ID and so on.

Can you please advise?

Settings I’we tried is:

/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.3:1.0-port0
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AB0LX00L-if00-port0

This is from hardware section in HA:

DEVLINKS: >-
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AB0LX00L-if00-port0
/dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.3:1.0-port0
DEVNAME: /dev/ttyUSB0
DEVPATH: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0
ID_BUS: usb
ID_MODEL: FT232R_USB_UART
ID_MODEL_ENC: FT232R\x20USB\x20UART
ID_MODEL_ID: '6001'
ID_PATH: pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.3:1.0
ID_PATH_TAG: pci-0000_00_14_0-usb-0_1_3_1_0
ID_REVISION: '0600'
ID_SERIAL: FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AB0LX00L
ID_SERIAL_SHORT: AB0LX00L
ID_TYPE: generic
ID_USB_DRIVER: ftdi_sio
ID_USB_INTERFACES: ':ffffff:'
ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM: '00'
ID_VENDOR: FTDI
ID_VENDOR_ENC: FTDI
ID_VENDOR_ID: '0403'
MAJOR: '188'
MINOR: '0'
SUBSYSTEM: tty
USEC_INITIALIZED: '633789257605

Best regards
A.

Hi and welcome,
I assume from your description that you’re using a linux based device.

Did you follow the guide on the wiki here

When you use a USB device there is no need to enter the baud rate in the integration config. It is only necessary to do that when using RS232 directly from a PC. Try missing out the baud rate in the config. Although it should work so I’ll try it later today on my own panel.

The error that you are getting is a Home Assistant format error, if it is on the baud rate then try not setting it.
:slight_smile:

Thank you for your promt respons. I did follow your wiki, however I found the problem and got it working now.

Solution:
When you add the integration the fields are auto populated. I did not put in 9600 in Baud Rate my self as it was there as default,. By re-entering 9600 in that field I got it working.

However I’we encounted a new challange, the PIR detectors seams to only report motion when armed? I found in the Wiki that one must disable “battery saver”, but I cant find it in the menus.

Best regard

@Botap and @davesmeghead I have exactly the same “issue” described by Botap and that happens over two sensors that are configured “inter-follow” and “Delay1”. My panel is a PowerMax Pro and is enrolled as Standar Plus as well. I will test this new version and provide feedback as well.
I’ll provide feedback in the next few days.
By the way to have the Panel enrollment sensor had to change the attributes to “Panel Mode” and the exception erors to “Exception Count” since is how they are set in my panel.
Thank you.

Just to report back on the disconnection issues from late October. I haven’t had any issues since then, guess some HA updates solved the problem.

I got a false alarm yesterday, here is the log:

I think the false alarm is due to the sensor malfunction, but looking at the logs, it seems that the motion sensor is detected/recorded as a magnet sensor by the integration.
I don’t think I have recorded each sensor type (I think it is automagically detected), and given that all the other motion sensors are correctly detected as motion sensors, could it be an issue with the integration ?

What is the proper way to have the sensor correctly detected as a motion sensor ?

Thanks

Note: false alarm in the middle of the night is really not fun at all, you go from a state of deep sleep to instant fear/aggression.