Waiting for home assistant cli to be ready

Earlier today I chose to upgrade my HA Core to 2023.11.0
I had a list of 6-7 pending updates so I manually performed a full backup of HA before starting the core update.
When I launched the core update I did not check the backup box (because I just made a full backup).
HA has not come back. I must have waited 2 hours but I could not reconnect to HA – still installing update.
Eventually I did a hard reboot on my x8086 pc on which HAOS is installed.
The linux terminal window eventually shows up with a message at the top saying “Waiting for the home assistant CLI to be ready …”
There is a prompt on my terminal screen ha>
Is there a terminal command I can enter to restore HA from my full backup?

I have the exact same issue (with virtualbox). I don’t know what to do to unlock the situation !

Edit: I have just solved the issue following those instructions :

had the same problem.
My system got stuck with the message Waiting for the Home Assistant CLI to be ready....
During boot it run into a 1:30 min. timeout when accessing the /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data.

My solution after 2-3 hours research was relabeling the /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data-old into /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data.

But How?!

1. Within the open blocked console with the text “Waiting for the Home Assistant CLI to be ready…” hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 to open a second terminal.
  2. here you have to login to HassOS in my case the user was “root”
  3. Now you should have a terminal to work with.
  4. Here you should check the label with e2label /dev/sda8. Im my case this returned hassos-data-old.
    5.Probably in your case the device is different.*
    6.If it returns the correct hassos-data then this solution is probably caused by another reason.*
  5. To rename the label execute e2label /dev/sda8 hassos-data
  6. Finally reboot HassOS by executing reboot in the terminal.

I hope this step by step guide helps the not so experience users.

7 Likes

Thank you. I would have gotten here eventually, but you saved me hours of toil.

1 Like

Hi, this happened to me today when I installed the core update that came out. How do I find the file I need to change the name of once I get the second command terminal open? I don’t know many of the ha cli commands.

Big thank you. It worked, following your instructions step by step. The only problem I found was when trying to log into HassOS. I tried every user/pwd combo I have ever used, but no luck. Until I simply used “root” as user. And that solved it all. If I had only read your msg paying more attention…

Thank you. Saviour.

1 Like

Hey,

got the same issue today after the last Core Update. I am stuck at “e2label /dev/sda8”, because it can not be found (no such file or directory… → Couldn’t find valid filesystem superblock) . Am i screwed :(?

Got the same issue this week.
Renaming the label fixed the booting problem.
Big thank you!

Just adding my “thank you” to the list! While updating to the latest HA core and OS - I ran into the same issue, followed your steps, and now everything is back up and running!

Thanks again!