Wall Mounted Dashboard (now known as HADashboard)

you say you have config.ru configured.
but with what, because it doesnt need configuring.

did you configure /lib/ha_conf.rb right?

yes, that is what I meant, it was a long night of trying my hardest not to throw a brick through my virtual server lol. I need to verify that hapush is passing messages properly, as that seems to be the only link that I can see as possibly malfunctioning. HA UI runs like a dream, and while the HADB runs, it doesn’t respond to any changes (button presses).

I’ll try changing my data-id from “weather” (as described in the documentation https://home-assistant.io/ecosystem/hadashboard/dash_config/#weather-requires-darksky ) to “dark_sky_XXX” per suggestion and see how that works

No, it should be weather.

Are you getting any error messages when you try and activate devices? Can you post your erb file - we need a little more to go on.

As soon as I get home (about 6hrs) I shall upload my main.erb and parts of my configuration.yaml, and maybe my ha_conf.rb if it is relevant

forget about hapush if HA isnt responding to the dashboard.
you must have a failure in your ha_conf.rb or in your erb file.

andrew asked for the erb file already, so while your at it, please post the rb file also and the dashboard logfile :wink:

The thread is really long so forgive me if you answered already – how did you mount this thing?

In my front room (needs to be tidy) I had a friend build a wooden enclosure that fitted over a light switch (both switches are smart) and Velcroed to the switch panel so it didn;t touch the wall and damage it. I Switched one of the switches for a USB power outlet to power it.

In my office, I just used double sided tape to stick it to the wall and the power cable is kind of out of sight behind my monitor.

I am just about to add one for the basement so I’ll probably take a look at commercial mounting plates again.

Ah yes the elusive “build with hammer” project. I can write all the cool component code in the world but making things out of wood is out of my wheelhouse :frowning:

1 Like

Exactly! (10 characters)

This is too funny but so true. Sounds exactly like my wife :slight_smile:

I have the same issue, and yes thin is installed.

bundler: failed to load command: thin (/usr/local/bin/thin)

NoMethodError: undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass
  /home/pi/hadashboard/jobs/news.rb:56:in `<top (required)>'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/backports-3.6.8/lib/backports/std_lib.rb:9:in `require'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/backports-3.6.8/lib/backports/std_lib.rb:9:in `require_with_backports'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/app.rb:171:in `block in require_glob'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/app.rb:170:in `each'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/app.rb:170:in `require_glob'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/app.rb:181:in `<top (required)>'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing.rb:3:in `require'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
  config.ru:1:in `require'
  config.ru:1:in `block in <main>'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/rack-1.5.5/lib/rack/builder.rb:55:in `instance_eval'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/rack-1.5.5/lib/rack/builder.rb:55:in `initialize'
  config.ru:1:in `new'
  config.ru:1:in `<main>'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:33:in `eval'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:33:in `load'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:182:in `load_rackup_config'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:72:in `start'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/runner.rb:200:in `run_command'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/runner.rb:156:in `run!'
  /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/bin/thin:6:in `<top (required)>'
  /usr/local/bin/thin:23:in `load'
  /usr/local/bin/thin:23:in `<top (required)>'

Is what I am getting, not sure why…

UPDATE: empty news feed…

I’m unable to change any of the styles and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong :frowning: I’ve followed the tutorial but nothing seems to work. I’m using it with Docker on my RPI3. Halp!

What styles are you expecting to change?

First of all text/value color.

Usually in the .scss file (in widgets folder) you could change that, they often to have a class named “value” and in there maybe there’s a color attribute that you could change. It might be different for different components but usually that’s where I would look.

At the moment it is possible to change the background color in the individual widgets themselves, per the docs. You can change the text color for all widgets of a particular type by editing the scss files as noted above.

So, out of the blue, it looked like my hapush stopped working, so I restarted docker to give everything a fresh start. Now I’m getting this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/app/hapush/hapush.py", line 348, in <module>
    main()
  File "/app/hapush/hapush.py", line 331, in main
    readDashboards()
  File "/app/hapush/hapush.py", line 249, in readDashboards
    readDash(file)
  File "/app/hapush/hapush.py", line 196, in readDash
    for line in f:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
    return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 6823: ordinal not in range(128)

Any ideas?

I also have some problems (still). I completely wiped my server and started with a brand spanking fresh install of Ubuntu Server 16.10, installed HASS and followed the instructions for the installation of the dashboard to a veritable “t”. My most recent errors include (but not necessarily limited to) the following generated by docker when trying to start hadashboard:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/app/hapush/hapush.py”, line 348, in
main()
File “/app/hapush/hapush.py”, line 319, in main
fh = RotatingFileHandler(logfile, maxBytes=1000000, backupCount=3)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/logging/handlers.py”, line 150, in init
BaseRotatingHandler.init(self, filename, mode, encoding, delay)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/logging/handlers.py”, line 57, in init
logging.FileHandler.init(self, filename, mode, encoding, delay)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/logging/init.py”, line 1006, in init
StreamHandler.init(self, self._open())
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/logging/init.py”, line 1030, in _open
return open(self.baseFilename, self.mode, encoding=self.encoding)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/home/hadashboard/hapush/hapush.log’

*that last error where it can’t seem to find the file or directory exists and docker is run with sudo (because docker apparently isn’t installed when not run with sudo :confused: )

Neat project though if I ever get it to run, though I wish there were a better way to do it!

Doesn’t work. I’ve also done the uncommenting.

Edit:

This is what I do:

1. Browse to /home/pi/hadashboard/assets/stylesheets
  2. Create the new files (or copy the application and variables files and rename them to custom)
  3. Uncomment
  4. Edit the custom files

I see now that the new files I create are not created inside the docker image. This might be the issue?