Wall mounted RFID reader?

I would like to add to my home a wall mounted RFID reader to disarm the alarm. Do you know any that works easily with Home Assistant?

I see that some people uses Zipato RFID Keypad, but I don’t like it because it seems that batteries last short time, and it seems that is not possible to sync the status with home assistant alarm status.

Any other?

I use one of these hooked up to a gpio binary_sensor that triggers my arm/disarm automations. Not ultra high security as it is only a contact closure, but it is cheap and I have the wires and sensor well hidden and inaccessible in the doorframe so I can arm and disarm from outside the house.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s a good solution, and not expensive :slight_smile:

Just be wary of the HA gpio binary_sensor implementation. Pulses for less than a second will register but they will fail to return to the inactive state.

You can make sure you hold the rfid tag against the sensor for longer than a second or try one of these options:

• The seller makes an add-on board that can change the valid rfid output to a 10 or 15 second signal or a valid read toggles the state of the output.

• Personally I just use a 555 timer ic in monostable mode to stretch the pulse to 2 seconds.

1 Like

I am testing with an ESP8266 ( Wemos D1) and ESP Easy in combination with an PN532. Is a few dollars when ordered in China.

Test results :
Tag is appearing in HA and I can trigger different things with it in automations but I am struggling with the issue that when a Tag is presented a few seconds it will fire a couple of evenets , so the switch that is corresponding with it in my automation is switching on and on and on …which will result in arming / disarming my alarm.

Still looking for a solution on that issue.

google on Wemos ( or esp8266) esp easy and PN532 to see the hardware

One way to overcome your problem would be to disable the automation (as an action in the automation) for a few seconds on first detection of a valid rfid.

1 Like

Hi @DvD77 have you got the arduino code and libraries for the pn532 and esp8266? I have got my pn532 from China but cannot find the correct arduino code and libraries.

Many thanks.

Hi

I will have to check but I did gave up on that single board. Right now I am using a rfid wiegand reader now with esp easy
Works like a charm

1 Like

You may find this interesting:

1 Like