Wall switch no neutral

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for a wall switch with no neutral line.
I currently use the Xiaomi Aqara switches but I have some voodoo issues with them (They just turn off from time to time without any reason).

The switch that I’m looking for should be EU standard (55 mm socket)… It can be a bit larger, I’ll buy a bigger socket and do the “wall work”

So if someone knows / uses one, please let me know.

Thanks,
Max

I use z-wave modules for this. I have a couple Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules. These modules are installed behind existing switches and work without a neutral line.

Yep, I’ve used the Fibaro’s in the past as well, nice stuff and indeed, do not require a neutral.

1 Like

hmmm… that’s a nice idea :thinking:
Can you send me a link please?

It looks as if the Den products will finally be available in a few weeks time.

Den light switch

The thing with Fibaro is if I turned off the light using the app, I cannot use the wall switch to turn it on…
Wife QA failed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you can! the module connects to the wall switch as well.

Wait… for example:

1. I turned on the lights using the wall switch (The switch is now on).
  2. Then, I turned of the lights using Fibaro
  3. I want to turn on the lights using the wall switch (Which is already in the “On” position)

What do I do next? :slight_smile:

Replace the switch for a pulse switch (that is what I did).

The qubino zwave modules support switching no matter what position the physical switch is in. It just triggers the module.

Thank you all for the answers!!

@max_yegorov there are a couple of youtube tutorials about using sonoff basics for this. low cost, low power, switches work if network goes down, no neutral required… have a look.

I use Livolo switches (well, just a single one for now, but am planning to add more).
They do not require neutral, are compatible with EU standard, are sensor (meaning they do not have dedicated on/off state), can be controlled with RF signal, are cheap and nice-looking. I am testing that single one for a couple of months already and it behaves very well.
I use a Broadlink RM3 to control the switch. It does not report its state to HA if it is changed by hand but it can be taught to separate on and off commands so you can always e.g. turn it off even if you do not know its real current state.
I looked at xiaomi but rejected it since I do not want to change the holes in the walls from round to square:grinning:.

Hi Frenck,

I’ve contacted Fibaro and they said that the Fibaro switch will not work without the neutral line :frowning:

Not the switch! Dimmer!

Screenshot from their manual:

Product link: https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/dimmer-2/
Documentation: https://manuals.fibaro.com/content/manuals/en/FGD-212/FGD-212-EN-T-v1.3.pdf

PS: Dimming can be turned of as a Z-Wave parameter (so it becomes a pure on/off switch in case your light source doesn’t support dimming. There are notes about this in the manual as well.)

Qubino or fibaro relays are a bit expensive. Xiaomi seems to be fine, but they are squere. And, as Max has said, there seems to be an issue with xiaomi aqara. Wi fi switches are silly. 433 does not reports the state. There are some zig bee switches as well, around 35-50$, maybe they will be more interesting (I am not sure how to control them)?
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Compatible-Monitoring-45856GE/dp/B019HTH2A0

I am thinking what to choose too. Seems that the best one is qubino dimmers (without neutral). A bit more expensive, but I hope, it works without issues

Can you send me the link the the qubino (without neutral) please?

This is the setup I got… I got access only to the “L” line in the wall box…
I don’t see how can I connect it… I’m not an electrician, so I’m sorry if I’m saying dumb things :slight_smile:

The only way to connect it then is to the lamp (on the ceiling), right?

Thanks,
Max

This is the same schema. L is directly connected to the Dimmer, N is connected to the Lamp and the lamp to the dimmer (the Circle with the X in it, is the lamp in the case).

The dimmer should be placed in your wall box.

The original wall switch is connected to the Dimmer as well.

The only thing that is different/weird, is the small bridge/short that is placed between Sx and N on the dimmer. This is something you’d need to do when there is no N.

Again, this is straight out of their manual and exactly how I used those dimmers in the past (previous house).

Got it!

So basically the L line that the switch is now connected to now will be connected to the L and to that weird sign (image) on the dimmer