Wash Done Notification with nag

Hello! I’m hoping the good people here can help pointing me in the right direction on the below.

I use a power sensing switch on my washing machine. Once energy use dips below a certain threshold, I’m able to trigger a notification. This works just fine!

I’d like to continue triggering notifications every 5-10 minutes or so until the washing machine door has been opened, signifying that the wet clothes have been moved to the dryer. I have a contact sensor on the door to achieve this but can’t wrap my head around the automation here…

I’ve been trying the Repeat until action, but this creates a problem if the door sensor is not actually Open when the loop comes back around. Most common reason for this would be if another load has been put in. If this happens, the notification nag continues to trigger.

Any thoughts on how do to this right? Do I need to set another binary sensor?

The initial trigger sets an input boolean that the contact sensor resets that you can also reset manually.

I usually use NodeRED for more complex automations. You can set up a trigger node, loop back the output and have it clear if you get an input from the contact sensor.

1 Like

This one is a great one. It can be calibrated to your specific appliance. It’s been reliable for our Clothes Washer and Dishwasher.

I know you were looking for something else, but its so great.

Maybe you could put a door or tilt sensor on the appliance door to cause the nag to repeat until the door is open?

1 Like

Ahhhh! There it is. I was almost there.

Trigger boolean on when wash is done.
Use as a condition for notifications.
Turn boolean off once the door is opened.

Thank you!

Just to close the loop. This took 2 automations.

Automation 1
When Washing Machine (WM) door opens
then
set input boolean to open

Automation 2
When WM power drops below threshold
then
set input boolean to closed
notify that wash is done
Repeat
wait 6 minutes
notify that wet clothes are in WM