Way to set up air conditioner temperature throughout the day

I was wondering if there is a way to easily set different temperatures for the air conditioner throughout the day.

Other than setting helper txt with time/temp pairs, is there a better way? I’d want each zone to have diff number of settings.

Ideally I’d have a graph of the day, where I set temps on Y and time on X. Each graph is assigned to one zone. I’d need A different setting from summer and winter.

There’s this:

@TheNoctambulist I’m using this card

As you can see you need to set the cool setting and then you can set the temperature.

I find that if the main air con is on then it works fine but if the main air con is off then this card is unable to set the temperature.

Can you have a look and see why? Thanks so much.

@aussie1497, this seemed to work ok for me, although it seemed to take a while for the schedule to actually call the service after the time passed (I set it to 15:35 and according to the Home Assistant history the target temperature changed at 15:35:50).

I dug into what the scheduler is doing when you select the “Cool” action and it appears to be calling the climate.set_temperature service with a hvac_mode and temperature value included. The AirTouch integration currently ignores the hvac_mode when set temperature is called (I may add that as an enhancement) but it always forwards the temperature change through to the AirTouch even if the zone is turned off.

Do you see the same behaviour if you manually call the Climate: Set Target Temperature service in the Developer Tools?

this works with a/c off.

but what I found a couple of times is I’ve had the air on off for the whole day and when I turn it on at 10pm it’s at this stage

it has skipped these:

similar story for the other rooms and I don’t know if it’s partly because there is an off mode in the middle there somewhere.

Now because of the difference if I just open the schedule and press save without changing anything it will set the temperature to the correct setting

I’d expect the temperature changes to work even if the zone is turned off. But I think at the moment the zone won’t get turned back on again because I didn’t realise the “Set Temperature” service also had a HVAC Mode parameter until today (there isn’t much documentation on how to implement those methods in Home Assistant!). So I think the zone would be stuck in the turned off state unless you have another automation turning it on (or have turned it on manually).

I’ve released a v0.7.0 of the AirTouch integration which will process the HVAC mode changes from the climate.set_temperature service call. That should hopefully result in your zones turning on and off through the day as per the schedule.

Actually I do not mind that it doesn’t turn on when I set the temperature
I think it is more a feature problem in this card. I should be able to set the temperature without actually setting a cool mode
and that cool mode seems to automatically reflect whatever mode the air conditioner is in

I’ll test some more but somehow my one is not acting like yours. I want it to stay off but whenever I turn it on it will be at the temperature that is set in that card.

And my plan is to have one set of cards for heat and one set of cards for cool.

Yes, if you want to just change the temperature without setting the mode then that is a limitation of this card. It sounds like it would be a useful feature request to submit to the Scheduler integration author.

You can mostly ignore whether it says “cool” or “heat” for the mode on the zone. The zone climate entities register their supported modes as “Off” and the current mode of the AC. That was just the best way I could find to have the zone climate entity cards look correct (e.g. blue when cooling). Setting any mode other than off will just turn the zone on (if it’s not on already). The AC itself will stay turned off as the zone’s turn on and off.

Perhaps this customisation tip described in the docs could let you set temperature only?

Otherwise, As a workaround, there are a couple of other ways you might be able to use this integration to change the temperature without turning the zone on:

1. Create a script that calls the climate.set_temperature service with just a temperature and use that instead of the climate entity from the scheduler card gui; or
  2. Manually call the scheduler.edit service so that it calls the set temperature service without the hvac_mode parameter.

Thanks I’m not fully sure I’m understanding why this is not working currently. When we tried using the developer service ``climate.set_temperature service call it could set the temperature without turning the air conditioner on.

If the card is doing the same thing then it should work
But eg now it’s 7.16pm, it didn’t move the temp

But it does on your one? Is that right?

What should I say to the Scheduler integration author?

At the moment the scheduler card always sets up the schedule to call the climate.set_temperature service with both a temperature and a HVAC mode, it is not possible to call it with a temperature only. It’s the equivalent of ticking both boxes in the developer tools UI. I think it would be a good enhancement for the scheduler card to allow setting temperature only. However, it may not help with the actual problem you are seeing where the temperature doesn’t get set.

I just tested again with a sequence of:

1. Set Cool + temperature to 23 degrees
  2. Set fan mode to off
  3. Set Cool + temperature to 20 degrees
  4. Set Cool + temperature to 28 degrees

The AC was turned off for the entire time, but all temperature changes seemed to work and the zone was turned on for the entire time except for interval 2 when the scheduler turned it off. Interestingly, the zone seemed to turn itself back on at step 3 even though I haven’t restarted after upgrading to v0.7.0 yet. Does the zone stay turned off for you?

I’ll set up a longer schedule to run overnight and see how that goes.

Actually, should I use ‘set fan mode off’ or ‘turn off’ in the card?
I get confused.

I did a test with 2 windows open

I “think” that

when

Then temp only takes whole numbers. Ie won’t change for other settings.

When off,off then I can do 22.1 etc.

Also notice the mode never turns on.
I think a zone mode shouldn’t react to a setting anyway.

Trying to test in the card, but now it’s not working at all. I don’t know… can I see a log of what the card tried to do?

Yeah, the zone mode will always be off if the AC is off, but the fan mode will go from off to on if the service call sets it to cool mode (after the v0.7.0 update).

Both turn off and setting fan mode to off should do the same thing, so you can pick your favourite.

I did see some cases early on where some temperature changes didn’t seem to stick when sent through to the AirTouch, but I’ve never been able to reproduce it. I think you should be able to use 0.1 degree intervals with the service call whether the zone is on or off.

You could try turning on debug logging for the scheduler integration and maybe the AirTouch integration as well. You would be able to see in the AirTouch logs if the temperature change commands are getting sent through by looking for the Zone Control messages. If you don’t see them, it might mean that the scheduler is not calling the service properly.

The weather has been pretty mild this week so I haven’t actually run the AC at all, but I left the scheduler running with debug logging turned on and it seemed to always trigger the correct calls for the zone. The only exception is that having a schedule to “Turn Off” the zone while the AC is not running doesn’t actually have any effect, so it would be safer to use “Set Fan Mode” if you want to turn a zone off.

The scheduler component doesn’t seem to do a lot of debug logging. It just logs when each slot in the schedule is reached, but doesn’t include any details of service calls being made. However, with the debug logging for both integrations enabled I could see the expected Zone Control messages getting sent to the AirTouch every time the scheduler moved to the next slot.

Thanks I think things are working well after the update although my schedules are so convoluted it’s hard to see them.
I’m also trying to work out how to deal with weekday and weekend since I don’t want to turn off if we actually at home

1 Like

Hi

I’m trying out the SET MODE

but it only allows me to select dry even though currently it’s on heat mode

do you have any ideas what’s going on? Otherwise I think it’s been working fine with this scheduler

It looks like all of the other modes are intentionally filtered out for some reason. See scheduler-card/src/standard-configuration/actions.ts at 8cab75418bdfe660ae119359352eb5c53c75b6c9 · nielsfaber/scheduler-card · GitHub

You might need to submit an enhancement request if you want to be able to change modes based on a schedule.