Weather underground (Wunderground) weather sensor

How will this affect the current method of display using template sensors? Will it change at all?

I guess, some minor modifications to the customize.yaml will be required based on the name of the sensors. Otherwise, should work just fine.

I finally got around to trying this but was disappointed when I saw how many attributes were missing from the original implementation and so I went back. I’d love to use the component and get rid of all the overhead associated with all the template sensors, but not at the expense of losing all that data I was getting.

Any chance the code will be updated to get all of the WU attributes that were available?

Which attributes specifically?

I took a look at readding forecast data. I am still blocked by this question.

I haven’t tried it yet (still on 0.26), but I assume I could update, remove the built-in WU component, and just keep using my existing custom component. You should try that.

personally I liked Last Observed/Observation Time.

Hello guys,

I’m working on it to add alerts advisories as well.

I can try to add other attributes if you want. Any one in special?

mmello

Here’s the sensors I have using the older custom component.

pws_stationid:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.station_id }}'
     pws_location:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.display_location.full }}'
     pws_elevation:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.observation_location.elevation }}'
     pws_uv:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.UV }}'
     pws_solarradiation:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.solarradiation }}'
     pws_pressure_trend:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.pressure_trend }}'
     pws_observation_time:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.observation_time }}'
     pws_relative_humidity:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.relative_humidity }}'
     pws_wind_degrees:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.wind_degrees }}'
     pws_wind_dir:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.wind_dir }}'
     pws_wind_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.wind_string }}'
     pws_dewpoint_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.dewpoint_string }}'
     pws_feelslike_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.feelslike_string }}'
     pws_heat_index_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.heat_index_string }}'
     pws_precip_1hr_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.precip_1hr_string }}'
     pws_precip_today_string:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.precip_today_string }}'
#
#
#  Fahrenheit/Imperial Measurements
#
     pws_dewpoint_f:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.dewpoint_f }}'
     pws_temp_f:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.temp_f }}'
     pws_feelslike_f:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.feelslike_f }}'
     pws_heat_index_f:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.heat_index_f }}'
     pws_precip_1hr_in:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.precip_1hr_in }}'
     pws_precip_today_in:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.precip_today_in }}'
     pws_pressure_in:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.pressure_in }}'
     pws_visibility_mi:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.visibility_mi }}'
     pws_wind_mph:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.wind_mph }}'
     pws_wind_gust_mph:
       value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.wind_gust_mph }}'
#

I didn’t have to remove the HA Component, I just had to return the original to the custom components directory and uncomment all my templates when I was done testing.

Hey There,
I just wanted to pick this Topic up again, because weatherunderground doesn’t need an api key to get data from it.
You just can send a request to http://api.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXCurrentObXML.asp?ID=INEUNKIR2 where INEUNKIR2 is the ID of the desired weatherstation and get an xml view of all data.

Very interesting! I tried this with my own weather station ID and noticed some additional info that isn’t available via the API key like the Type of Weather Station (AcuRite Weather Station). I wonder if there are any limitations on this method?

Hello @rpitera,

I’ve added some few more attributes to the Wunderground sensor at https://gist.github.com/tchellomello/309b0a643470646312ee257cd4ea1aff.

Install the custom component and let me know if it worked as you want. If works, I’ll check the other ones missing and we can add as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

mmello

Thanks! I’ll test it out this weekend and let you know how it works for me.

@rpitera Sounds good. Thank you!

Looking good - the only things missing from my original setup are elevation and location.

Elevation I can do without as it is the GPS elevation, not the actual WX station, but it would be nice to have the location if possible.

Nice, thanks for the feedback.

I’ll add it and then I’ll check with you again if you can test it one more time.

I might have it ready by the end of the week.

Thanks @rpitera

1 Like

Even if these can’t be worked out, I am definitely at the point where I can move off the old custom one and over to your version now - thanks so much for adding those attributes!

EDIT:

Does this test version include the patch in this PR?
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/4070

Hey there, nice work!

Would you mind to add language support?
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs?d=language-support

sensor:
platform: wunderground
api_key: your_api_key
lang: NL

@rpitera not yet. I’ll work on a PR this weekend and I’ll post here then you can track.

1 Like

@vehsen Hello, I’ll look into this too. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Feel free to PM - I’m all set up now so I can test it right away.

1 Like

@rpitera, I just posted a PR at https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/4306

Could you please test it at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tchellomello/home-assistant/7f714688bf1cd072da9acc0c7fa9756ab2588145/homeassistant/components/sensor/wunderground.py and reports the results at https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.github.io/pull/1418?

Thank you!