Web GUI Management for Groups

It would be amazing to be able to add entities to groups from the UI, this would include adding new tabs and assigning / removing entities from those tabs.

from the entity on an existing view, you should be able to to the following:

• add to existing group
  • add to new group (creates group)
  • assign to existing view
  • add to new view (create view)
  • remove from existing view
  • remove from existing group

from an existing group you should be able to do the following:

• add existing entity
  • remove existing entity
  • delete group
  • rename group

from an existing view you should be able to do the following:

• add new group
  • add new entity
  • remove group
  • remove entity

One of my most wished quality of life features :ok_hand:

Totally agree. During adding, removing, renaming entities it is a must have to be able to add/remove to/from groups via GUI. E.g. I try to make a good automation to switch on/off things based on my alarm system state.for this I’d like to add switches, lights etc to a group and this group will be swtitched. But I’d like to make different groups for different reasons and when I add new entity it is a pain of my ass to remember and add/remove from different groups.
And I think it is easy to program. Just some checkboxes in different places. Much easier than the GUI of automations…

At the moment it is only possible to create/modify groups through the configuration.yaml file.

However it would be very useful if this would also be possible with the UI.

There are existing feature requests for this. Please search before posting and vote there instead.

I have just had a need to group 2 lights together as 1 entity and has to be done with code. Can we add a “Entity Groups” section in the main configuration page and it allow it to be done by gui and an option to code for those more experienced.

Wouldn’t it be great if we had Editable groups in the GUI like scenes

Please use the search before posting.

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=groups%20ui%20category:13

Would be great to handle groups in GUI. There should be an option “Groups” in Configuration (around Scenes, Scripts etc.). Here entities can be added or can be seen which entities are under a giben group. Also add other settings to the group (like icon)
Also editing an entity under “Entities” should show the groups (in Related like as Integration, Device, Area) and be able do add/remove with a checkbox or +/- sign), or create a group to add in.
It should help to check which enrtity is in which group or a group contained entities. Also helps in case I have to add an entity or change e.g. the entity ID.

Agreed 100%

My Home Assistant configuration relies heavily on groups.

As it is now:
Whenever I add or remove a device, I end up having to SSH into the relevant server, edit the files, verify the YAML, then reload the groups. This should be part of the UI like it is with Scenes, but I do realize the wildcard nature of a groups contents could present a challenge.

As it would work:
There would be a subcategory under Integrations where one can perform the following actions:

• Create a new group
  • Rename an existing group
  • Edit an existing group
    • Add entities to a group
    • Remove entities from a group
    • Reorder items in a group, both manually and via a sort function.
    • Note, this would allow a group to be added to a group. EG: group “Kitchen” could be added to group “Main Floor”. This functionality works in groups.yaml currently and should not be broken.
  • Delete a group

I run Home Assistant Core and am happy to test, or help in any other way I can.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%!!!
Any news on this?
Thanks !

A basic feature that is still missing.

+1 Its one of the few big holes left in HA. Groups are a super useful feature, but have to be done with YAML today. Its a hinderance to new users and can be a turn off for others migrating from other platforms.

1 Like

Cannot emphasize this more, most problematic IMHO is grouping lights and changing switches to lights and adding them to a light group. Would be super useful and sure attracts more users to HA.

Edit: just checking pull requests and there is one in the pipe Allow setting up groups from the UI by bdraco · Pull Request #58064 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Created a blueprint that should hold us over until a proper UI is added. Please take a look and let me know how it works!

1 Like

vote 1 from me