Web page dashboards

Is there a way to set up Home Assistant to serve a single dashboard as a web page?

I’m trying to make some smart displays — basically I want a little touchscreen on my wall that shows one home assist dashboard. I can use a Raspberry PI and set up the web browser in kiosk mode… but I don’t want anyone walking by to have full access to everything in home assistant… just one dashboard. (And I don’t want to have to re-point it to the right dashboard if a less-adept family member navigates away, etc.)

I was hoping maybe I could somehow mark a few select dashboards as “serve as webpage” and then my displays could be set up to point to the URL for these dashboards. I was still hoping to have password-controlled access (and ideally local access only)… would this require making one HA user account per display (ugh…)? And is there a way to limit that account’s permissions to a single dashboard and nothing else?

Surely there must be a better way than this, right?

Thanks in advance!

Install Kiosk Mode using HACS. This gives you a dashboard that can be locked down.

Thanks! This looks like it’s probably exactly what I was looking for, but I couldn’t tell 100% from a quick scan of the documentation.

It looks like it adds the ability to set options for specific dashboards that, e.g., hide the navigation bars/interactability for those dashboards or for select users on those dashboards. Have I got that right? If so, then would the right way to us it in my case be the following?

1. Create the dashboards that I want to be used on my wall displays (e.g., “Living Room kiosk dashboard” and “hallway kiosk dashboard”)
  2. Modify those dashboards’ settings using Kiosk Mode from HACS to take away navigation features
  3. Create a new HA user with limited permissions, like “display user”. (How do I control user permissions? Is there any way to control permissions at a granular enough level that this user can, e.g., turn lights on and off but cant change any settings or see some other, more sensitive entities’ values?)
  4. Set up my display Raspberry PI its own kiosk mode (just show a web browser, and don’t allow leaving that web browser or typing in other URLs). Log into home assistant as “display user” and navigate to the “Living Room Kiosk” dashboard.

Is this the right way to be thinking about applying Kiosk Mode to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!

This Kiosk mode allows you to hide the sidebar & header but a user could still close the browser and access the address bar.
With browser mod you can achieve the same.

For a real kiosk experience, some browsers have the option to hide all the controls.
I’m doing this on a RPi & touchscreen with chromium.

Thanks, yes that totally makes sense on the client side but have I got #1-3 correct? Is the idea that “Kiosk Mode” from HACS will lock down individual dashboards (so, e.g., if I click on that dashboard then the HA icon bar on the left disappears and I can’t navigate back) but I still need to create an additional full HA user with HA access for the client RPi to use to log into my Home Assistant instance to view those dashboards? Or is there some way that I’m not grasping to give my RPi access to only this dashboard, no other HA permissions?

There is no such thing as a permission management in HA. You can only decide, if a dashboard is shown only to Admins, or not. That’s it. :slight_smile:

This is an often requested feature, see here: