Webhooks without nabu case abo

Hey there
Is it possible to use webhooks as triggers in Home Assistant without a Nabu Case subscription?

I don’t use any other functions of the subscription and would therefore like to solve it differently!

Thanks for your ideas!
Basti

You don’t need NabuCasa in order to use WebHooks, but in order to use it with 3rd party hosted applications, you’ll need to open a port on your router.
If you only plan to use locally hosted applications, there is no need for that :wink:

Yes

If you need them to work from outside your home network then just set up remote access using whatever approach you prefer. Most people use a service like DuckDNS along with LetsEncrypt, though more and more are using Cloudflare tunnels.

I would like to have the webhooks sent automatically from my phone (from a fire brigade alarm app that supports this) and this only works if I am logged into the Nabu Casa Cloud even if I have set up online access with DuckDNS

Probably, your DuckDNS name now points to NabuCase.

You should be able to use https://[my real ip address]:[myport]/api/webhook/mywebhook
provided you have forwarded port [myport] to port 8123 of your HA’s internal IP address.

No reason that won’t work. I use webhooks from my phone and don’t use Nabu Casa.

You do, obviously, have to not be trying to use the Nabu Casa URL, but the one for your DuckDNS hostname (and also obviously that DuckDNS URL has to actually work).

It doesn’t work for me the way you describe it! I have the Home Assistant online via NGINX reverse proxy and my own domain.

My domain works fine: I can log in normally from the Internet.

At home you should be able to use the IP and port of HA directly. Your DuckDNS hostname will only work if your router supports NAT Reflection.

There is the same result in both variants: Response status code was unacceptable: 405.

That suggests you’re using GET when you should be using POST.

HA’s webhooks only support POST

I know that, but it worked before with the nabu casa webhooks from the same triggering point (the fire alarm app).

Is it possible that the nabu Casa webhooks support both requests?

I have tested it via the command line and the webhook itself works. The nabu Casa webhooks also respond to GET requests and POST requests!

That’s interesting, since the docs say it takes a POST. I guess that the NC service is doing some (undocumented) conversion.