Wemo link is recognized but can't control bulbs

Hi all,

Home Assistant on RPI2
Wemo Link 5 bulbs: firmware up to date

I saw a few other posts here regarding the wemo link, and it seems the nearest one was with update 24.1. I was running 26.1 and was running fine, then went to 26.2, again everything’s fine, but I update to 26.3, and even though my bulbs appear, I can’t power them on or off. I toggle a light on, the bulb doesn’t go on, and after a few seconds, the toggle switch on Home Assistant goes back to the original position. I can control them via the Wemo app though.

I put a fresh build on another RPI2 and I got the same results. I do have this from the error logs:

16-08-20 09:06:06 homeassistant.core: BusHandler:Exception doing job
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 852, in job_handler
func(*args)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 717, in _execute_service
service(call)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 572, in call
self.func(call)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/light/init.py”, line 225, in handle_light_service
light.turn_on(**params)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/light/wemo.py”, line 124, in turn_on
self.device.turn_on(transition=transitiontime)
File “/home/mikep/.homeassistant/deps/pywemo/ouimeaux_device/bridge.py”, line 222, in turn_on
self._setdevicestatus(levelcontrol=(0, 0), onoff=ON)
File “/home/mikep/.homeassistant/deps/pywemo/ouimeaux_device/bridge.py”, line 148, in _setdevicestatus
isgroup, self.uniqueID, capids, values)
File “/home/mikep/.homeassistant/deps/pywemo/ouimeaux_device/bridge.py”, line 81, in bridge_setdevicestatus
xml_declaration=True)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/xml/etree/ElementTree.py”, line 778, in write
short_empty_elements=short_empty_elements)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/contextlib.py”, line 66, in exit
next(self.gen)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/xml/etree/ElementTree.py”, line 837, in _get_writer
yield file.write
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/contextlib.py”, line 336, in exit
raise exc_details[1]
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/contextlib.py”, line 321, in exit
if cb(*exc_details):
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/contextlib.py”, line 267, in _exit_wrapper
callback(*args, **kwds)
TypeError: string argument expected, got ‘bytes’

I was having the same issue with the WeMo Link bulbs in both 26.2 and 26.3.
Followed instructions here

To downgrade, but went to 25.2 instead of 24.1

Fresh,

Excellent, the downgrade worked for me as well!