What are the use cases of Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor?

Perhaps reach into the machine and stick it to the drum support or side of the motor. The drum on a washing machine is suspended to reduce vibration transmitted to the enclosure which is why the device is not detecting.

I have it outside in my mailbox , so I know when the postman arrived with some letters :slight_smile:

I just added one of these through ZHA. I’m only getting a binary sensor for vibration with no extra into in the attributes other than device_class: vibration. Guessing there’s something more I need to do to get axis information out of the entity?

using ZHA it also catches tilt events well. You can use it for example in your shower lever, to turn on some music when you go get a shower or to open Nuki from the inside whenever you tilt your lever

isn’t it too big for that?

perhaps it is… :smiley:

does anyone here have a mapper for the tiltangle and orientation coordinates? trying to figure out what they indicate :wink:

as for use case: I have a couple of large Velux windows Id like to stick these on for security indication, as well as on my garage door, which now only is ‘secured’ with a door sensor, and hope the vibration sensor would also sense tampering (and tilting)?

2 Likes

I put one inside of my toilet flush plate on the big button to detect when someone presses it.
This triggers the bathroom fan to run, because it assumes you did a number two.

Works perfect on a Geberit flush plate, which is quite standard in Belgium (https://www.geberit.be/producten/badkamerproducten/bedieningsplaten-en-wc-sturingen)

5 Likes

I am getting 2 awnings installed on my house. The installer wants 300 usd for a somfy vibration sensor - per awning - 600usd total :rofl:

I just ordered two xiaomi sensors for $24.91 incl shipping

I’ve actually received 2 in the weekend.
I have installed the 1st one in my office chair backrest. My desk is just around the corner from my motion sensor, so my lights and radio turn off if I don’t empty my coffee fast enough… When I stand up or move backwards 10cm, I’ll be in range of the motion sensor, so I honesty just want to detect whether someone is sitting on the chair. (Can’t ever sit still anyways…)
Probably not the most efficient solution, but just adding another motion sensor would be too easy and sometimes you have to challenge yourself, don’t you? :sweat_smile:

Didn’t really have a purpose for the 2nd one to be fair… But I might put it under my mattress to have my AC turn off and living-room/bathroom radio on after I’ve gotten out of bed. I’ll have to buy a 3th one for the other side of the bed if I can get this to work though…

I want to try a vibration sensor to capture the moment that the storm is near and you need to turn off the main switch of my house. I plan to monitor the readings of the sensor attached to the window pane. (When lightning is nearby - the windows vibrate well)

Has anyone done this?

Good luck, mine on sensitive didn’t detect earthquake…

1 Like

I just glued one of my vibration sensors inside a cardboard cube, created a sensor- see below (I know there’s probably huge potential to optimize it - and am now working on some automations triggering actions based on which side of the cube is up.

sensors:
    cube_num:
      value_template: >-
        {% if state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_y_absolute" ) == 12 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_y_absolute" ) == 11 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_y_absolute" ) == 169 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_y_absolute" ) == 170 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_y_absolute" ) == 171 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 10 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 11 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 12 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 167 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 168 -%}
        {%- elif state_attr("sensor.xa_vibe_01_action", "angle_x_absolute" ) == 169 -%}
        {%- else -%}
        {%- endif %}

Haven’t found a reliable way yet to detect if side 2 or 5 is up :confused:

2 Likes

I use it to reset my wastebin collection warning.

I have created an automation that triggers a warning light when the day comes that the wastebin is collected. I have glued this sensor to the wastebin so when I move the bin to bring it to the street it triggers a vibration and the sensor triggers an automation to turn of the warning light again.

2 Likes

I’m gonna hide it inside my motorbike, any moment detected while other conditions are met, the alarm will go off.
Need to trial it’s sensitivity though. Does HA give us a vibration number?

Hi RKor,

I have a question, that automation will be only available at you home or near, correct? I use the aqara one and it’s a ZigBee one, but will be interesting to know what you’re using.

For your question, you may try this: ZHA Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor Settings - #11 by PrairieSnpr

Regards,

Hi mate,

Thanks for the link.

I just bought this one, Xiaomi Aqara Smart Vibration Sensor Zigbee Motion Shock Sensor Detection Alarm Monitor Built in Gyro For Home Safety For Mi Home|Smart Remote Control| - AliExpress

Yeah the bike is inside my garage and within range.

Ultimately I’m trying to find a GPS/LTE tracker that I can install on my bike. Let me know if you have any ideas :slight_smile:

Ahhh ok. Understood. I have an automation using NodeRed and the aqara sensor for my vacuum robot, so that it changes the alarm status not to create false alarms.

For the tracker, I have this one and works well (also if the comments are not great), but I have 4. 3 in cars and 1 in a small motorbike and works really well.

Invoxia Tracker GPS sin tarjeta SIM - Localizar: auto, moto, bolsos, niños, personas mayores - 1 a 6 meses de autonomía https://www.amazon.es/dp/B075V8FTWH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4JDAWDYJATR61ASFQHWE

Hope this helps.

Regards

2 Likes

I have a chair that I usually turn upside-down and put on a table when the vacuum is running. I put a vibration sensor underneath the chair, and now when I flip it and put it on the table, an automation starts the vacuum.

4 Likes

Ahh yeah, thanks for this mate.
I was watching this video about it yesterday, seems like it’s a little too slow in updating. Did you find a way to increase the update frequency?

Also, you’re able to permanently wire it to your motorbike battery right?

Edit: Just noticed that it’s US only?
Also, trying to find something without ongoing subscription, any ideas?