What AV reciever?

I’m about to replace an aging Onkyo AV reciever.

I’m edging towards sticking with what i know but newer: ie Onkyo, but also considering Yamaha. I also recognise that Pinoeer and Denon are supported by Home Assistant.

It looks like Yamaha integration is fairly limited, does anyone have any real world experience with a few of these, or anything?

I’m considering what supports wireless multi room audio to. Ie Yamaha: Musiccast, Onkyo Fireconnect/Flareconnect DTS Play:fi etc…

1 Like

Use about 10 various Denon AVR-Xnnnn with great success. Do not use HEOS or any other wireless speakers. Do not buy used older than AVR-Xn2nn, they do not support 4K as well.

1 Like

I have an Onkyo but what are you looking for really from integration? I haven’t touched my Onkyo remote or plugged in the Ethernet cable in a couple of years, since hdmi-CEC started working like magic (2017 ish?). Since that time, any remote connected to any device plugged into it “works”. To me that’s like receiver eureka… It just does what it’s supposed to and stays out of the way.

I’m actually also in the market for one too, for supporting newer media formats. But it’s going to be hard to let go of this, whatever replaces it has to be similarly transparent.

In what way?

I have a couple of RX-V685 receivers. I can control power (discrete on / off), source (Customisable list), zone, cycle through DSP options and do multi-room audio (aircast mostly).

But I’m not familiar with the Onkyo amps so am not sure what extra features they might have.

Oh i missread the page:

The play_media service is implemented for NET RADIO source only. The media_id is a > separated string of the menu path on the vtuner service. For instance Bookmarks>Internet>WAMC 90.3 FM .

Thinking it could only do this, but so long as it can change source I can conrol the source otherwise anyway.

The more I look into the Denons the more i’m sold mind. Seems like they have a lot more open to them above and beyond what an be done with Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer.

Don’t forget Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company. I like my Marantz amp.

I’m looking at the AVR-X2500 I think if I can get old stock.
AVR-X1600 actually doesn everything I need, but i’m thinking the rs232 port could really come in handy if i ever need it in the future. Do Marantz have an equivelent model?

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/category/hometheatre/avreceiver

They dont even update their own website :smiley:

I only use RJ-45 with my Denons. No need for RS-232, if you do use it, then you might need to co-locate HA controller with your AVR.

Yeah even their TCP/IP interface seems leagues ahead of most of the competition. I presume thats because they have focussed on home automation and integration a lot in previous years, which is just convenient that home assistant can tap into,

Number of HDMI ports is one thing to consider…

Hi

Are you using the “Yamaha Network Receivers” integration for your Yamaha RX-V685 receiver ?
I mean to this one:
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/yamaha
I see that this specific receiver is not part of the supported devices list.

If so, can you share what do you think about it ?
Can you play from 2 different sources for 2 Zones using this integration ?

Regards,
Alex.

Yes.

The docs do say “and more”. I just created a PR to add the RX-V685 to the list.

I am very happy with it. It works perfectly for selecting a source, controlling power and volume. Additional functionality can be added using restful commands and sensors. See: Yamaha Restful commands

Yes you can. The two zones are separate media players with separate source, power, volume controls. And Zone 2 does have the option of ‘main zone’ as a source if you want them playing the same thing.

Thanks for the info !!
And very nice job.