What cpu are you using in your NUC?

I use hassio on a pi0w, but only run pihole, ssh and samba continiously. I have 4 switches, 2 fluxnets, 4 esp8266’s and 5 cameras and store 1day of history. Have the usual assortment of weather and sensors. Load average is usually under 1 and cpu about 30%. works very well but was using mqtt and node-red previously and that proved too much. Pi + case + 32g sdcard + power supply was under $25. Only issues are long updates and reboots, luckily I rarely have to reboot anymore.
Scott

Which is all fine and dandy but completely irrelevant to the question asked in this topic.

2 Likes

No, not completely irrelevant, but thanks for your rude reply anyway.

Since when is a pi0w a NUC?

2 Likes

I recently moved from PI3B to a Beelink mini PC powered by Gemini Lake N4100 (4GB Ram, 128GB mSata SSD).

Currently I just moved the setup although the reason of the move is I expect to run more stuff in future.
Installation of Hass.IO is on Debian running on Proxmox (done purely for convenience reason, backups, etc…)

Difference is night and day:

• reboots / config checks are almost instant
  • updates instant
  • logbook/history finally usable

Payed 160 euro + 40euro for HDD: really happy with this.
I didn’t go to NUC simply for budget reason and power consumption (which I wanted to stay low).

My setup is far from being extreme so likely to be a bit of overkill but benefits definitely worth the price paid: in particular I am quite crap in programming/playing with HA hence i take a lot of advantage from the frequent reboots I need to do while changing config :slight_smile:

1 Like

My setup is far from being extreme so likely to be a bit of overkill but benefits definitely worth the price paid: in particular I am quite crap in programming/playing with HA hence i take a lot of advantage from the frequent reboots I need to do while changing config :slight_smile:

I found restarting the HA container in HassIO far far quicker than rebooting the whole machine. Even the container on my Pi3 takes less than a minute to restart, and it would probably restart in a few seconds on something with a high end SSD.

1 Like

Hi, yes sorry I should have specified: I meant restarting Homeassistant which is the typical thing you do when you pay with configuration.
It is literally few seconds

Did you find the answer to this?

Have a read of this: System Monitoring - How does your look?

Then put your thermal zone in a sensor like this:

- platform: command_line
  name: CPU Temperature
  command: "cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp"
  unit_of_measurement: "°C"
  value_template: '{{ value | multiply(0.001) | round(1) }}'
1 Like

I’ve just today moved to Proxmox and I’m not sure where to enter those commands!
I’m still finding my way around it but this (CPU temp) was one of the things that didn’t show up after I moved from my Pi where I had that command.

Unless the answer is simple I think I should probably leave it for the moment and revisit once I understand Proxmox a bit better!

(I guess I could experiment with different zone numbers?!)

From the command line. Use the SSH add on.

Thanks. I am running hassio (in Proxmox) so SSHing there is no use as far as I can tell and SSHing into the Proxmox server gives me this

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type
acpitz
acpitz
pch_cannonlake
iwlwifi
x86_pkg_temp
root@proxmox:~#

EDIT: thermal_zone_4 is the one you want (start’s counting at 0).

0 acpitz
1 cacpitz
2 pch_cannonlake
3 iwlwifi
4 x86_pkg_temp

I tried that…

_    _                 _
 | |  | |               (_)
 | |__| | __ _ ___ ___   _  ___
 |  __  |/ _` / __/ __| | |/ _ \
 | |  | | (_| \__ \__ \_| | (_) |
 |_|  |_|\__,_|___/___(_)_|\___/

Our Cli:
$ hassio help

debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
core-ssh:~# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type
cat: can't open '/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type': No such file or directory
core-ssh:~#

I edited my post. See above.

Yep, thanks we hit Reply at the same time.
I’m trying it now…

1 Like

I’m afraid that didn’t work…

Command failed: cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone_4/temp
  - platform: command_line
    name: CPU Temp
    command: "cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone_4/temp"
    unit_of_measurement: "°C"
    value_template: '{{ value | multiply(0.001) | round(0) }}'

Strange, it works from the Hassio CLI for me:

I’m running the Hassio NUC image.

Ok, thanks for trying, maybe someone else will chime in. It’s hardly the most important thing in my config!

I’ve done this way.

In the Proxmox console (or via SSH) I created a file.py like this

temp="$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp)"
cpuload="$(grep 'cpu ' /proc/stat | awk '{usage=($2+$4)*100/($2+$4+$5)} END {print usage}')"
memavail="$(cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemAvailable | awk '{print $2}')"

mosquitto_pub -h ip_address -u user -P password -t topic/temp -m $temp
mosquitto_pub -h ip_address -u user -P password -t topic/cpuload -m $cpuload
mosquitto_pub -h ip_address -u user -P password -t topic/memavail -m $memavail

then

chmod +x file.py

in crontab -e

* * * * * /root/file.py
* * * * * (sleep 30 ; /root/file.py )

repeating this every 30 secs.

3 Likes